starting strength gym

Thread: Belt for squats

Default Belt for squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I bought a 3" belt for squats as the 4" didn't work at all. I ended up using the 3" on all my lifts except the squat. I can't get away with it. It digs into my ribs or the top of my hips unless I wear it so loose it's not doing anything but acting as an ornament. Worse still, I've gone back to using my 4" belt for pressing, which works great, but the 3" now only on DLifts, where I have to wear the buckle at the rear which is a pain. I'm now considering if a 2" belt is an option. Anyone else had this experience ?

Have you tried positioning the belt in your deadlift starting position? I've found there are two different positions for my belt, one for squat and one for deadlift. For me setting the belt in the starting position and stopped the belt from digging in.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    Have you tried positioning the belt in your deadlift starting position? I've found there are two different positions for my belt, one for squat and one for deadlift. For me setting the belt in the starting position and stopped the belt from digging in.
    Yes, I set in high for the deadlift. I've tried all variations for the squat, the one that doesn't crush my rib cage prevents me squatting to full depth. It actually caused me to fail a heavy rep and stapled me to the floor. Took off the belt, dusted myself down and then performed the same squat flawlessly belt-less. On every other lift I make gains with a belt and therefore I know I'm losing some weight on the bar not using one to squat. A 2" might at least give me a bit of support.

How thick is your belt, Nockian? If you've got a heavy, "powerlifting" type belt vs a single-ply leather, that could be part of your problem.

I've always used a very narrow belt, but I suspect my proportions are quite different from yours -- height and narrowness of waist.

Video of placement?

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    How thick is your belt, Nockian? If you've got a heavy, "powerlifting" type belt vs a single-ply leather, that could be part of your problem.

I've always used a very narrow belt, but I suspect my proportions are quite different from yours -- height and narrowness of waist.

Video of placement?
    It's 8.5-9mm. It's single ply plus a single skin of suede on the inner, so not a hefty belt by any means. I've long legs, short torso 5'7". Part of the reason is that not only my torso short, but I have to lean over more horizontal to get in balance, which means the belt is jamming into rib cage, or hip area. I could get away with a high bar position, but I don't want to do that.
    Not much point of a placement video. I've tried in multiple positions and multiple degrees of tightness and none of them were acceptable. Are you using a 2" belt Stef ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    It's 8.5-9mm. It's single ply plus a single skin of suede on the inner, so not a hefty belt by any means. I've long legs, short torso 5'7". Part of the reason is that not only my torso short, but I have to lean over more horizontal to get in balance, which means the belt is jamming into rib cage, or hip area. I could get away with a high bar position, but I don't want to do that.
    Not much point of a placement video. I've tried in multiple positions and multiple degrees of tightness and none of them were acceptable. Are you using a 2" belt Stef ?
    I think you should post that video. Stef's asking for it for a reason.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Batbat View Post
    I think you should post that video. Stef's asking for it for a reason.
    I don't know how that's a possibility as there isn't a position. I'm going to try a 2" belt.