starting strength gym

Thread: Best alternative to OP that does not require external rotation

Default Best alternative to OP that does not require external rotation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Looking for advice on the best substitute for the overhead press for someone without any active external rotation (brachial plexus injury of the right shoulder left infraspinatus with no innervation). Choices that come to mind: landmine press, viking press, smith machine press, landmine press with the base of the bar elevated on the rack safeties, etc.

Thank You!

I have no infraspinatus or teres minor in my right shoulder, and I press with no problems. Not as heavy as I used to, but the movement is not a problem. Post a video.

I am attaching a google photos link, it is not a download so I hope it meets the forum guidelines. If you are able to view the video, in the first motion I am using the rack to guide a dowl and I can achieve a full range of motion but the retraction is passive. In the second motion, my lack of a full active range of motion is apparent. It is worth noting that the only reason I have a complete passive range of motion is because of you! PT was unable to accomplish what you did with your video showing how you stretched your shoulder using straps and a barbell. The yellow webbing I use to perform that stretch is visible in the video.

Thanks again!

Shared album - Harold B - Google Photos

P.S. If google photos does not work I can try to create a new YouTube account. My last one was deactivated because google labeled it a brand account (still not sure what that was). I am a teacher and all I did was create playlists on different topics for the students to view if they missed, or did not fully understand the class material.

Addendum to my last reply in this thread: New YouTube Channel created and video uploaded.

YouTube

You cannot correctly press a wooden dowel with your elbows in the wrong place. Use the instructions in the book and take a video with a loaded bar.

When I get back from work I will create the video. I wanted to thank you for creating starting strength and for you tireless efforts in promulgating your message of strength. Like everyone my age who has discovered your method, I am simultaneously grateful for learning the material and frustrated at not having discovered it decades earlier. A comment I read on the forums expressed it perfectly "I wish I could go back in time and hit my younger self in the head with the blue book."
    I learned of the effectiveness of your method and the benefits strength can provide to non/ex athletes, from my coworker. Rob is a middle aged former college athlete who has rheumatoid arthritis. After discovering the blue book he has completely transformed himself over the last few years. From "dad bod" and aching bones, to being stronger than he was during his playing days and feeling much better. His dramatic results have inspired many, including myself, to begin our own starting strength journey. While I am only on my 16th workout of LP, I am grateful for the resources provided by yourself, Sully, and your staff.

starting strength coach development program
    It's not pretty and there is still a long way to go, but it is more than I ever expected to accomplish, THANK YOU!

YouTube