starting strength gym

Thread: Hand problem

Default Hand problem

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Doc Morris,

I’ve had an issue with my right hand for about three months that presented itself after a weird catch on a relatively heavy power clean. I have terrible elbow flexion (roughly 45 degrees) that doesn’t seem to improve much no matter how i attempt to stretch. This makes the front rack position problematic for me and I often have a hard time racking heavy cleans.

There is a small, solid bump on the back of my hand in the area of the capitate — possibly the cartilage between this bone and the metacarpal. The pain occurs after holding wrist extension in the front rack position. It goes mostly away after being unloaded for a minute or so, but some slight pain and swelling remains for about a day after. When it is irritated I can feel it through the palm of my hand as well.

I’ve been avoiding power cleans for a few months and I’m really itching to get back to them. In your opinion, is this issue likely to get worse? Would wrist wraps help in this scenario?

Thanks Doc!

If you are still having wrist pain after a few months, after a missed power clean, I would get it checked out. You can try a wrist wrap and see if it helps or maybe switch to a power snatch if your only current limitation is the power clean rack position.

Thanks Nick,

Just so happens i was thinking the same thing with the wraps and I got them in the mail yesterday — going to try them out tomorrow!

I also irritated the shit out of my hand doing a front squat 5x3 last week and it’s been feeling much better this week then it has in months.

You're welcome! I hope the wrist wraps make a difference.