starting strength gym

Thread: 3inch VS 4inch belt

Default 3inch VS 4inch belt

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey.
    Im 22 years old man and about 5 feet 7 inches / 170 cm and 155lbs /70kg

I have gained some experience and got to a 220 squat for 5. and I wanna start using a belt and have some questions.

1. for somone my size what would be best 4inch or 3inch belt? is there much difference at all?

2.Is there a difference between thse belt :
    https://www.dominionstrengthtraining.com/product-page/starting-strength-3in-double-ply-leather-weightlifting-belt

and this belt:
    https://www.dominionstrengthtraining.com/product-page/dominion-3in-leather-weightlifting-belt-single-prong-for-men-and-women

I mean except from the logo.

and is there a difference between these two and the regular suede one ?

3. Is the Dominion belts really a lot better then other belts(inzer,sbd pioneer)?

The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

Dominion makes the best smooth leather belt in the industry, Best makes the best suede. You need a 3-inch. Read the article.

Ok I will get the 3 inch belt. What about the difference between the belts I mentioned?

They are inferior to the belts I mentioned. I thought that was clear.

I meant , between the 2 options of the Dominion belt (both 3 inch 10mm) , the one with the Starting Strength logo, and the other with the Dominion logo (which I linked in the first massage). Is there a difference except from the logo.

(option 1)

(option 2)

The double ply belt is 10 mm-thick, and the single prong is about 7 mm
    I'm the same height with you, and wear 3 inch belt for squat and pull

no difference at all

Blake from Dominion here. I can give you an overview of the differences.

As you stated, both are 3" 10mm belts. Both have two layers of top grain leather as the main structure. The outer top grain layer is selected to have a high aesthetic grade and is identical on both belts. The inner top grain layer differs in thickness between the two. On the Dominion belt, this layer is about 1.5mm thinner to make room for the inner suede layer, while keeping the overall thickness at 10mm.

The difference in tensile strength is very small, likely imperceptible. The Dominion belt will feel more flexible out of the box due to the structural leather being thinner, though the Starting Strength belt breaks in quickly with use. The suede liner is a matter of preference. Some prefer the feel or "grippiness" of the suede, while others prefer the smooth leather. The belts will wear differently. The Starting Strength belt will darken and develop a nice patina over time, the suede will not. And of course the aesthetics are different, which is purely a matter of preference.

I hope this helps. I'm happy to answer any other specific questions you may have.
    Last edited by Blake Wilson; 03-07-2020 at 09:04 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm going to get one of those Dominion belts....that's all there is to it.

I have a 4" suede Mike Bridges powerlifting belt that I bought about 10 years ago (Mike Bridges was a great powerlifter in the 80's for those of you are too young to not know his name). Great belt, but 4" is too much belt for me in the deadlift (5'11' 195 pounds; 58 years old). But back then the fashion was 4" belts. If you cried about it digging into your rib cage or inhibiting your pull in the deadlift, you were considered soft and weak. You had to fight through the belt, it was part of the game.

Those were he days of bloody shins from deadlifting and huge clouds of baby powder while you powdered your thighs and sniffed amonia capsules.

I'm going to get one of those Dominion belts, I'm telling you.