Thread: help with home gym in a small room

Default help with home gym in a small room

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    hi been training at public gym since jan would prefer to train from home

my room is 8.5 feet x 7.5 feet

my issues are

1 a 20kg bar may be very tight for loading plates on and off so would a bar like this ok Original ATX(R) Women's Bar 200 cm - 15 kg - Hantelstange aus Federstahl

2 not sure how many plates to get ?

my stats are 35yo male 5 foot 6 75 kg
    my lift as of now are

deadlift 85kg-1x5 squat 80kg-3x5 bench 60kg-3x5 press 45kg-3x5

realistically how much could i hope to lift as i will likely pay more in shipping later than the cost of some extra plates now
    thanks

You will bend a 25mm bar.

You might be able to use something like this:
    Rogue C-70 Bar - Shorty 70" Barbell - Weightlifting / CrossFit | Rogue Fitness

Note that it is too narrow to be racked in a standard squat rack. If you have an adjustable stand or the ability to narrow your rack, you could probably make it work.

i was afraid of that
    it says that bar is 206,000 psi and handles max 300 kg for Squats and 400 kg DeadLifts but i dont know what its like in actual lifting use

also what could someone my size and age even be aiming to lift ? surly nowhere near that barbell limit ?

The hypotenuse of the room is 11 feet put a power rack in the middle turned diagonally

You are going to want a full-sized bar for when you're lifting 405+. You'll regret having bought a bar that doesn't fit your actual needs. It may be best to find a larger room even if you have to hold off on a home gym for the time being. I lifted outside for about six months, and that meant dragging squat stands out onto the driveway and putting them away every workout. I regret nothing.

That all said, I called Texas Power Bars in January, and they built me a custom sized bar. You may find you can do the same for a shorter bar, but since you live in Europe (I assume), shipping is going to be expensive. Bear in mind that the bar will not be 20kg if the sleeves are shorter.

Again, my recommendation is that you find a bigger room even if it means lifting on your driveway or delaying a home gym.

As an aside, I find your mixed use of imperial and metric perplexing.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

sadly that is the only space i have but i was testing i may be able to slide a bar left and right about 4 inches in the rack to load it so a mens bar might work

also the woman's bar i listed says its 206,000 psi and handles at max 300 kg for Squats and 400 kg DeadLifts but 405 lbs is around half of that

yes i am in europe so am a bit limited with stuff

as for mixed use of imperial and metric i am just so used to using both

by the way how many plates should i be looking to get ?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    also what could someone my size and age even be aiming to lift ? surly nowhere near that barbell limit ?
    Impossible to say what someone your size can expect. There's smaller guys (and ladies) that are incredibly strong. Your age matters little. At 35, you're still a young man.