starting strength gym

Thread: Suddenly coaching

Default Suddenly coaching

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After 5 weeks on the program I am now the strongest guy in my gym. Everyone is coming to me for advice, especially about deadlift. I tried to show them proper form as best as I know. I explained the program and how incremental loading is necessary. Should I just keep feeding them tips as they ask? Or should I try to teach them the whole program from day 1? For example the guy asking me about deadlift has a pretty decent squat, but he does high bar and is always just above parallel. I want to explain to him that low bar squat will help his deadlift by training his lower back. I also feel I can gain a deeper understanding of the program by teaching it to others step by step. One big issue is hardly anyone in my gym speaks English, at least not very well. But we can work around that I hope. Anyway, I should probably read the book.

Yeah, you should. Stop typing and start reading. You can't really coach the program until you understand it yourself.

True. However today I saw the guy attempt to pull 120 kg and he couldn't budge it even with straps. He's probably 5'6 and 170 pounds or so. I've seen him squat 125 kg before, but high bar and just above parallel. Anyway today I showed him how to low bar squat and he was quite grateful. I'll be interested to see if there's any improvement in his deadlift.

You shouldn't shy away from giving out help. You just have to know a little more than the person you're helping to get started coaching. But make sure you keep things in perspective and remember that you're still learning and that you will change your mind about stuff as your understanding improves and you gain experience.

In general, for everyone in the room: be careful about being an evangelist until you understand why the things you are doing are better - they very well may be, but if your explanation is weak you'll turn people off. When you're where you need to be, you won't need to proselytize anymore.

At 58, I've been the strongest guy at my community rec center gym for a while now and at the local globo gym I'm the strongest older guy (except for my pathetic bench). I've had several people come up to me over the years and say that I inspire them, which is nice, but so far none of them has been inspired enough to actual get under the bar and squat. They always go back to the machines, curls, RDLs, bouncing deadlifts and half rep benching.

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Power View Post
    I want to explain to him that low bar squat will help his deadlift by training his lower back. I also feel I can gain a deeper understanding of the program by teaching it to others step by step. One big issue is hardly anyone in my gym speaks English, at least not very well. But we can work around that I hope..
    what language are you dealing with?

starting strength coach development program
    Vietnamese