starting strength gym

Thread: Bar(s) for home gym

Default Bar(s) for home gym

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, all. Like many, I may not see the inside of a gym for weeks to come. I've been hiking with my old ruck, but missing the barbell. I watched Mark's YouTube video on bars and also own the blue book. I'm getting a rack from Rogue, mostly because I doubt I could built a better quality, modular one on my own within a reasonable amount of time. Their prices are not unreasonable either.

I had an Ohio bar in my shopping cart yesterday, which I thought was a good hybrid for my needs, but it sold out by the time I got done researching plates. Probably not too bad of a thing because I'm wondering if I should get more than one bar suited to the appropriate lift instead of a hybrid. At the local gym, I have a favorite deadlift bar and a favorite squat bar. If they're taken, I can get by with other bars, but they just don't feel the same. While I don't mind the whip on a squat, I might even say I prefer it, a thicker bar feels better on back.

The bar use for my home gym, at least at this time, would be 40-45% deadlift and 40-45% squat. The other 10-20% would be light presses and olympic lifts until my shoulder recovers. As my boys grow up, I'm sure those percentages will change.

If I could find a 28mm or 28.5mm bar with center knurling and whip properties in stainless steel, I'd be happy with one bar. However, I can't seem find such animal (not even sure if stainless can be made whippy). I understand that some of this comes down to personal preference, but I would appreciate your thoughts on these options:

a) 28mm bar with good whip
    b) 29mm stainless stainless with center knurl
    c) both
    d) other (please explain)

Quote Originally Posted by abnk View Post
    Hi, all. Like many, I may not see the inside of a gym for weeks to come. I've been hiking with my old ruck, but missing the barbell. I watched Mark's YouTube video on bars and also own the blue book. I'm getting a rack from Rogue, mostly because I doubt I could built a better quality, modular one on my own within a reasonable amount of time. Their prices are not unreasonable either.

I had an Ohio bar in my shopping cart yesterday, which I thought was a good hybrid for my needs, but it sold out by the time I got done researching plates. Probably not too bad of a thing because I'm wondering if I should get more than one bar suited to the appropriate lift instead of a hybrid. At the local gym, I have a favorite deadlift bar and a favorite squat bar. If they're taken, I can get by with other bars, but they just don't feel the same. While I don't mind the whip on a squat, I might even say I prefer it, a thicker bar feels better on back.

The bar use for my home gym, at least at this time, would be 40-45% deadlift and 40-45% squat. The other 10-20% would be light presses and olympic lifts until my shoulder recovers. As my boys grow up, I'm sure those percentages will change.

If I could find a 28mm or 28.5mm bar with center knurling and whip properties in stainless steel, I'd be happy with one bar. However, I can't seem find such animal (not even sure if stainless can be made whippy). I understand that some of this comes down to personal preference, but I would appreciate your thoughts on these options:

a) 28mm bar with good whip
    b) 29mm stainless stainless with center knurl
    c) both
    d) other (please explain)
    Personally, I ended up going one cheap, one pricey:
    1. A Rogue Ohio Power bar (29mm, center knurl, etc.) for my squats and deadlifts;
    2. A Synergee Games bar (28mm, no center knurl) for powercleans and such.

The Synergee bar is Chinese made but the bar gets good reviews and I won't use it as often. Also, it's $295 shipped, with 3-day delivery. And as of this morning, they still had it in stock.

These are tough times to need a barbell! Also, there is no one perfect barbell for every task. Unless you plan on having it outside stainless isn't necessary.

Search around here, there are many good options. This brand seems popular here: Texas Strength Systems

I purchased a Rogue B&R2.0 last year and it's really good. No whip though but that's OK. My next bar will be a whippy deadlift bar.

all of that said, for now, what if you just get on facebook / craigslist and see if you can snatch one up? A sub-optimal bar can still get it done in a pinch.

JD Thomason is offline Owner, Starting Strength Colorado Springs

I ordered the SS bar from Texas Barbells on Saturday, it shipped this AM. Now if I could only find some decent plates.....

Just pulled the trigger on the Ohio Power Bar. Thanks for the replies.

I just bought this bar sight unseen: 7' Olympic X-Series Bar – Torque Fitness My wife picked it up from them this morning. No center knurl, but beggars can't be choosers. I'm curious to see what it looks like. They're located a few miles down the road from me in Coon Rapids, MN, and apparently will still be working through the MN soft-lockdown as manufacturing is considered essential.

They have plenty of plates in stock too but not at a price I'm willing to pay, ($1.55/lb). They make racks too. The local Y has a set that's about 10 years old and has held up well. Only downside is they're fit with spotter arms that go outside the rack, instead of pins inside the rack like Mark's design. Anyway. Thought I'd share, as they are local and seem to make decent products.

I know this is late, but what you were looking for is a B&R bar. It's made to be used for general strength training and Oly lifting.
    28.5mm
    Moderate whip
    Moderately aggressive knurl
    Oly and Powerbar markings
    Brass bushings

Still though the OPB is hard to beat for the money. I have one myself and my only qualm is deadlifting on a stiff 29mm bar is not like using a 27mm Texas Deadlift Bar.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm searching, but can't find any comment about the SS bar being out of stock at Capps website (texaspowerbars.com). It has been out of stock for, what, two months now? Any scuttlebutt on when they might be ready to ship again?