starting strength gym

Thread: Another York bar question

Default Another York bar question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have a York Olympic bar purchased directly from York by my father in 1968-69. My brothers were never interested in lifting so I've moved it around the country with me for the past 50 years (along with the milled plate set and spin collars he purchased with it). I have taken decent care of it and after watching Rip's video on bar maintenance I oiled the bushings and it still spins nicely.

My question is regarding possible adjustment of the inner collar. The weight sleeves seem to have a bit too much lateral play. I realize there has to be some play for spin purposes but it looks like over the years of slamming the plates tight on the bar the inner collars may have been driven inboard a mm or two. Before I start taking things apart I wanted to know if i could loosen the set screw on the inner collar and move it outboard just a hair or does the set screw have a specific indent in the bar like the end cap? Maybe I'm being too picky but sometimes I notice the lateral play when I unrack the bar and step back for squats at my heavier (for me) LP work set weight. At my age (67) I like to keep things under control when moving around with the bar. Thanks I'll try to post photos.

I just checked my York Bars here, and none of them have a set screw in the inside sleeve collar except the one that isn't stamped "York PA". I guess you need to loosen the set screw and hammer it back into place.

Thanks

Thank you.
    Here is the collar with the sleeve in it's most outboard position.
    I had noticed the inner collar was covering some of the knurling which made me think the collar had moved inward.

(first photo attachment attempt. I hope it works)

IMG_20200405_092812.jpg

Does it say "York"?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Does it say "York"?
    No it does not but this bar pre-dates the inner collars being marked "York" which began late 70's-early 80's.

I found a York catalog of this 1960's York Olympic bar (28mm, no center knurl) which gave all the measurements and specs. Mine is spot on so I'm probably not going to adjust anything for now.
    The basic lubrication you described in the video has it spinning great. Thanks