starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Rip’s opinion is the most valid Deadlift world record?

Default What is Rip’s opinion is the most valid Deadlift world record?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,

Hope things are as well as they can be at WFAC during these silly times.

To occupy myself, I’ve been trawling through every deadlift world record I can find - there aren’t many I enjoy watching, despite it being my favourite lift.

If one defines a “proper” deadlift as conventional style / not Sumo, no straps:

What in your opinion is the most valid and impressive deadlift world record of:

1) all time
    2) current

I’m particularly interested in this given the current, very public beef between Eddie Hall and Thor pertaining to one of the current deadlift world records (500kg), the elephant bar, and a world record being done in competition as opposed to in one’s own gym.

I find all the modern fanfare eg. the Arnold with the elephant bar, Hummer tyres, non calibrated plates etc distasteful when compared to watching the old school guys who had way more class.

Ps. The advent of Strength Lifting is the kind of deal which needs to dominate all things “Strength”.

Best regards,

Robin

Deadlift records are by definition set in powerlifting meets. Narrows your choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK View Post
    Hi Rip,

Hope things are as well as they can be at WFAC during these silly times.

To occupy myself, I’ve been trawling through every deadlift world record I can find - there aren’t many I enjoy watching, despite it being my favourite lift.

If one defines a “proper” deadlift as conventional style / not Sumo, no straps:

What in your opinion is the most valid and impressive deadlift world record of:

1) all time
    2) current

I’m particularly interested in this given the current, very public beef between Eddie Hall and Thor pertaining to one of the current deadlift world records (500kg), the elephant bar, and a world record being done in competition as opposed to in one’s own gym.

I find all the modern fanfare eg. the Arnold with the elephant bar, Hummer tyres, non calibrated plates etc distasteful when compared to watching the old school guys who had way more class.

Ps. The advent of Strength Lifting is the kind of deal which needs to dominate all things “Strength”.

Best regards,

Robin
    I agree with you on the old school guys having way more class, and also seemed in general more intelligent. If you haven’t seen it yet, rips interview with tommy Suggs is a very good watch. I only wish something similar was done with bill starr, as I find him to be one of the most fascinating people I’ve read about. Rip you’re a lucky guy to have known and been trained by such legends In American weightlifting, and is a fact that tends to go under the radar imo

Yes I watched that. Some of the early SS interviews with likes of Ed Coan and Karwoski remain some of my all-time favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    I agree with you on the old school guys having way more class, and also seemed in general more intelligent. If you haven’t seen it yet, rips interview with tommy Suggs is a very good watch. I only wish something similar was done with bill starr, as I find him to be one of the most fascinating people I’ve read about. Rip you’re a lucky guy to have known and been trained by such legends In American weightlifting, and is a fact that tends to go under the radar imo
    Have you read Strong Enough? It’s a good, short read and he talks about what kind of rare individual Starr was.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Have you read Strong Enough? It’s a good, short read and he talks about what kind of rare individual Starr was.
    No I haven’t, but I’m gonna buy that now, that sounds so great

The audio book is available as well.

I’m having a hard time finding the audio version on your site from the link you posted in the thread earlier, could you give my polish ass a hand?

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks. Gonna have a few beers and listen to this tonight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast