starting strength gym

Thread: Centre to centre distance between hooks of power rack

Default Centre to centre distance between hooks of power rack

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Centre to centre distance between the hooks of SS rack is 45" inches (Ref: SS Rack drawing from the Blue Bible). I am now looking at a rack with 110 cm (43.3") centre to centre distance. Is this okay? Or is this 1.7" difference going to make a difference in terms of safety while racking or when there is a single 45 lbs plate on one side with the other side empty?

Depends on your grip width.

Thanks Coach Rip. I have decided not to buy it. I will custom build a rack instead.

I just got a quote for a 'modified' version of SS rack from a local fabricator and at about ~US$ 320, it turns out to be less expensive than the commercial ones (steel and labour are damn cheap here in my country). He can deliver it in 2 weeks, subject to no further COVID lockdowns - he has just opened his workshop after the government lifted our 6 week long lockdown.

Modifications: I had to go for bolted connection between the left and right frames for taking the rack through my apartment door (no other way). Then I changed the depth to 30" (from 22") and hole pitch to 2" (from 3") following the recent design changes in SS racks. I have also added four weight plate holders on sides. I hope the rack turns out well.

Funny thing is that I can't find a bar in my city as they were all sold out within a couple of days of lifting the lockdown!

when there is a single 45 lbs plate on one side with the other side empt
    Assuming you are using a 20kg or 45lbs bar, it should not create enough leverage to make the bar tip over with a single 45.

Yes Balrog, you are right. Simple moment balance equation would have shown me that (an experiment would have been easier, but I have no access to equipment). The bar might tip over only if the plate is placed at the extreme end of the bar, but nobody in his right mind would want to do that.