starting strength gym

Thread: The commercial gym trainer

Default The commercial gym trainer

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I work at a commercial gym and it looks like we may be back in business may 18th. Since the lockdown started I have been able, through a series of fortunate events, to build a nice little shed gym and train some of my clients out of it. Many of them have increased their training frequency as a result of cheaper sessions and free time. I’m currently earning a similar income to my normal pre-lockdown income, while training less sessions.

The question is: when is it financially reasonable to return to work at the corporate gym? Many of the clients that I had before are not going to go to the gym for a while. There will be cleaning protocols that will consume blocks of time that I could be with clients. There will be less traffic entering the gym and less people looking for training. I’ll be making far less money then I could training people out of my shed.

Many commercial gym trainers (commission based employees) will be returning to work for less money than their unemployment check pays. This isn’t even considering that most corporate gyms have a pay structure that requires a threshold of sessions trained or sales trailing average to get a full paycheck.

The lockdown may be close to over in Texas, but the Covid-19 hysteria is going to put trainers over a barrel for a long time. Maybe it’s time to leave the corporate umbrella.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I think big corporate gyms are a thing of the past, and will be replaced by guys in situations like you. Time to consider the SS Coach certification.

Yessir. I may need to test for that sooner than I had planned.