starting strength gym

Thread: Home Gym

Default Home Gym

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This corona virus thing has had all kinds of unintended consequences. For example, me. The gyms are closed (and can no longer be relied upon even if they open) and working from home is now "strongly encouraged." I see the writing on the wall and it is causing me to look into buying a small home just to have my own garage gym and office space. The one-bedroom apartment is no longer able to meet my needs since having to work and train from home. Crazy. I just started looking at homes and I'm sorta excited to buy one of course but jeez, I would probably have just continued to rent if not for this corona crap.

Good luck with that. The coronavirus has screwed us all up in some way. I have not trained since March 18 and I have no money for bars and records. Here the government confiscated our few savings in the banks and what little they let us take out is not enough for a home gym.

The government confiscated your savings? Where do you live? California?

I remember a time when the coaches used to get aggravated by people not doing the program. Now most of us can’t even do the program by Government decree. How simple those heady days of December 2019 look now.

Quote Originally Posted by Railbob1776 View Post
    This corona virus thing has had all kinds of unintended consequences. For example, me. The gyms are closed (and can no longer be relied upon even if they open) and working from home is now "strongly encouraged." I see the writing on the wall and it is causing me to look into buying a small home just to have my own garage gym and office space. The one-bedroom apartment is no longer able to meet my needs since having to work and train from home. Crazy. I just started looking at homes and I'm sorta excited to buy one of course but jeez, I would probably have just continued to rent if not for this corona crap.
    Nice to see that I have company. Here is my story:

Power Rack: order placed on a local fabricator to make a modified version of the SS Rack. Thanks to the plan in the blue book.

Bench: Just finished the sketch of a cheap imitation of the SS Bench (hope there is no IPR infringement). I am sending it for a quote. 4 ft (long) x 10" (wide) x 2" (thick) solid block of teakwood is already arranged. I see some criticism on benching on wood, but I trust Rip on this.

Weights: Done. Ready for pick up. Have to go to the shop on an "even number" day. (We have a post lockdown odd-even vehicle curfew here and my car's registration number is even).

Bar: Not a single 2.2 m 20 kg bar is available in my city. Talked to the manufacturer of Challenge barbells (the one I really want to buy), but his factory is in a COVID redbzone state and he can't send one in near future. His competitors haven't even bothered to reply. Most of the states here in India are under heavy lockdown barring a few like mine. So after watching a few YouTube videos on bar manufacturing, I am seriously thinking about designing my own piece. I am mechanical engineer by profession, so I can design one and get it fabricated cheaply. But getting the right materials during these "trying times" would be an issue. Also getting the right knurl would be a challenge. Let me see.

Wife: The toughest part. She is still not fully convinced about placing a monstrous piece of furniture in her temporary Work from Home office space. But she has somewhat agreed to the idea. I am not sure if it is an act of benevolence, or whether I will have to pay for it later (forgot the name of the movie where I heard this dialogue).

Nice to see that I have company.
    Actually, I laid down some 8x8 plywood in my apartment and it fits with a bit of room to spare. Maybe I'll just stay put and have a squat rack in my living room haha. Not sure what I'll end up doing yet. Buying a home seems like such a pain in the ass. I'm single with no kids (and no plans of acquiring any) so not sure I'm motivated enough to lay down the cash and deal with the headaches of home ownership if I can get by without it. We shall see.

Hi, master RIP. No, I live in Argentina. I wish I lived in beautiful California!

starting strength coach development program
    This is impressive.

And potentially entertaining. (Like you wrote, the engineering’s the easy part. )