starting strength gym

Thread: Mild but localized wrist pain

Default Mild but localized wrist pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I first started noticing the pain while benching and I have one possible explanation as to why it started. My stepfather and I made a DIY bench/rack, and since the beginning I knew the bench was off balance. I thought I could just add a wedge to remove the instability, but I then measured it (with the wedge) and the top left corner is 3-4 centimeters off balance (by more / higher). I measured the rack as well and the left side (my left side while in bench position) is only 1 centimeter more. So perhaps the rack is less influential on its own, but paired with the bench I would imagine it would reinforce improper stress on my left side.

So now I have this mild pain on the left side of my wrist on my left arm. To be more precise, I think it is right below the pisiform bone where I feel the pain (more acutely when lifting and moving anything slightly heavy, I'd say around 25+ lbs. Some movements with weight hurt and some don't).

I've been thinking that it may be a mild sprain or strain, but I'm not sure. There is no inflammation in the area, but I do feel less strong / unable to generate the same strength due to the pain.

I haven't done intentional weight training after this, but I do have a job that is somewhat physically demanding. I would appreciate any insight for the cause and proper treatment. Thanks.

This may be an article that will be useful to you, if you are into such a thing. I see this with some regularity in the clinic with individuals who bench or overhead press. I highly suspect it is caused by the bar moving in the hand during the execution of the movements. Seems to respond well to cueing of getting the bar set firmly in the hand, and wearing wrist wraps appropriately.

Mechanical Strain at the Pisotriquetral Joint - PubMed

Hi Will, thanks for the response (I apologize for such late response). I read the paper, but after some more looking at the anatomy of the distal part of the arm and wrist, I realize that the area where I feel the pain is more around (below) the ulnar styloid. I came across this website which describes flexor carpi ulnaris tendonitis and it made me think this is most likely the issue: Flexor carpi ulnaris (FCU) tendonitis
    – WristWidget(R)
    – It describes the rotational load / weight bearing pain I experience (not on the wrist near the pisotriquetral joint but below the ulnar styloid). There's also the ulnar carpal collateral ligament and "triangular fibrocartilage complex" (this is talked about in the link), but I ruled those out since I haven't lost significant strength? About the paper though, I think it's worth noting that main point about a lot of pressure being put on the pisotriquetral joint when extending the wrist, so there's def a lot of truth to what you said about making sure your wrist is stable (not extending excessively / avoiding unstable pressure).. Again thanks for the response, I learned quite a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    This may be an article that will be useful to you, if you are into such a thing. I see this with some regularity in the clinic with individuals who bench or overhead press. I highly suspect it is caused by the bar moving in the hand during the execution of the movements. Seems to respond well to cueing of getting the bar set firmly in the hand, and wearing wrist wraps appropriately.

Mechanical Strain at the Pisotriquetral Joint - PubMed
    Further to that, this is something I have seen and experienced more with cheap barbells. Unless your hands are large enough to not notice the difference, a 32mm bar common in many poorly outfitted globo gyms is going to be harder to grip securely than a quality 28mm bar.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    Further to that, this is something I have seen and experienced more with cheap barbells. Unless your hands are large enough to not notice the difference, a 32mm bar common in many poorly outfitted globo gyms is going to be harder to grip securely than a quality 28mm bar.
    Good point. The cheaper bars are also “whippier” and like to slosh around a lot when you have any type of a load on them.