starting strength gym

Thread: My belt gave me an owie

Default My belt gave me an owie

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've got track marks from the velcro strap of my cheapo Chinese made Rogue belt. Is this just karma for spending $20 on something I should have spent real money on? I know the answer to this question is yes, so I am going to buy a nicer belt, but wanted to ask a more important question. Is the fact that I have track marks (full on burst blood vessels) a sign my belt is too tight or just poor design? I brace when I tighten the belt; I don't suck in. Breathing is fine when the belt is on and it feels comfortable. Bad design or am I doing something wrong?

Broken blood vessels (petechia) are not a function of belt design. It was probably too tight. This is a better belt: Equipment | Starting Strength

Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Broken blood vessels (petechia) are not a function of belt design. It was probably too tight. This is a better belt: Equipment | Starting Strength
    This is what I was looking for thanks

Those of us with lean, sculpted physiques don't have to worry, but flab can also get an "owie" if it's pinched by a mis-positioned belt (this did not happen to me with my new 2 and half-inch belt)

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    Those of us with lean, sculpted physiques don't have to worry, but flab can also get an "owie" if it's pinched by a mis-positioned belt (this did not happen to me with my new 2 and half-inch belt)
    Rip was right, the belt was too tight. I've had the 3 inch double ply Dominion/SS belt now for 3 months and it is fantastic. I just recently moved down a hole and it is pretty tight (would be impossible to get it any tighter) but still have had no issues with petechia. The belt always sits perfectly and never gets in the way of my ribs or hips. I love it. I wish everything I bought was of that level of quality.

Is it correct that we are not supposed to "suck in"? I have to say that I sort of suck in. It seems it would not be snug enough if I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    Is it correct that we are not supposed to "suck in"? I have to say that I sort of suck in. It seems it would not be snug enough if I didn't.
    The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Most helpful. I am only 5'8" and use my 4" belt. I need to get a second belt. Thanks.