starting strength gym

Thread: Thoughts on DIY Power Rack

Default Thoughts on DIY Power Rack

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Since power racks seem to be scarce and out-of-stock pretty much everywhere, I've turned my thoughts to building my own.

I don't know how to weld, and don't have the equipment for cutting steel, so I've been thinking of making a wood power rack. I've seen a few designs online, with uprights made of 4x4's or laminated 2x6's, and I suspect I could do one better. The issue with the wood uprights, as I see it, involves having to drill holes for the safeties and whatever is used for the hooks to hold the bar, and the risk of the upright splitting under load. This is mitigated somewhat with the laminated 2x6 designs, since the grain in the laminated boards wouldn't line up and the glue would keep things from splitting.

I think the laminated design would be improved by having two 2x6's upright, and the middle layer composed of short lengths (5.5", the actual width of a 2x6) of 2x6 placed with the grain running horizontally. Wood is extremely strong in compression across the grain, it wouldn't split in that direction, and if properly glued up the resulting upright would be extremely strong. Properly braced I suspect four such uprights would support your car, let alone any barbell a mere human is likely to place on it. Yes, it would require a lot more cutting, and you'd have to glue it up carefully to make sure everything lines up, but there'd be zero concern about the uprights splitting.

I hope my description makes sense. Any thoughts on whether this would work, or be worthwhile?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I think the laminated design would be improved by having two 2x6's upright, and the middle layer composed of short lengths (5.5", the actual width of a 2x6) of 2x6 placed with the grain running horizontally. Wood is extremely strong in compression across the grain, it wouldn't split in that direction, and if properly glued up the resulting upright would be extremely strong. Properly braced I suspect four such uprights would support your car, let alone any barbell a mere human is likely to place on it. Yes, it would require a lot more cutting, and you'd have to glue it up carefully to make sure everything lines up, but there'd be zero concern about the uprights splitting.
    Why not just screw it together without the fancy cross-grain laminating and look for signs of impending failure as you use it? You can always modify it if necessary. I don't think it will be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Why not just screw it together without the fancy cross-grain laminating and look for signs of impending failure as you use it? You can always modify it if necessary. I don't think it will be necessary.
    Mostly because when wood splits, it splits suddenly. The first sign of impending failure may be when I rack the bar, and impending may translate into "right now".

OP- check out this link for perforated square tubing and associated connectors. The 2.5" x 2.5" tubing is just shy of 12 ga thick. Would be plenty strong enough. You could erector set a power rack with little to no cutting. If you want spacing between uprights and/or upright height other than the standard lengths (3', 4', 6', 8', 12') you would need to cut those to length. I'm not sure if the vendor would cut them to length for you. It would be worth a call to see. But really, if you can cut a piece of wood you can cut a piece of metal (within reason). Hole diameter is 7/16" on 1" centers. Pin & pipe safeties would be needed. Some 2" sch 80 pipe would be fine there. You would still need to figure out the j-hooks. I wouldn't trust a bolt of that diameter to work as a hook. A little imagination and a friend with basic fabrication skills would make short work of it. However you make it have fun with your diy project and let us know how it turns out.

McMaster-Carr

Kabuki strength has free plans for a wood rack that might give you some ideas too:

FREE DIY RACK PLAN– Kabuki Strength

starting strength coach development program
    Personally instead of going for a rack with wood I would just buy the metal and bring Rio's plan and the medal into a welder's shop somewhere. Especially where I live with the oil and gas industry being at a all time low right now the welder's aren't doing much and their will be no wait times. Me and my Dad did this a few months ago and they are absolutely guaranteed to last out entire lives.