starting strength gym

Thread: LCL Injury Treatment

Default LCL Injury Treatment

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have recently been experiencing pain in my right LCL.

All the advice I get is rest and stop squatting for a while. I'm not taking this advice because I know it is uninformed.

I have reduced the weight on the bar for my squat about 15-20% and have really focused on keeping my knees back in the squat to alleviate pain.

Is this the best advice or would you recommend I do anything in addition in stead of of this.

Very Respectfully,

Daniel Ponzo

Background:
    5'6"
    207 Lbs
    Currently on a four day split, intermediate program.

I don’t necessarily disagree with this course of action. Did you have an injury, or did the pain just creep up on you?

Will;

Thank you for your reply.

There was no acute injury. I was running a couple of days per week in preparation for a Marine Corps PFT.

The PFT was canceled this year due to the COVID, so I'm back to just my four-day split with some Rowing / sled after my lower body days and rucking on Wednesday and Saturday.

The pain isn't really that significant unless i go too low in the squat.

Ponzo

You’re more than likely attributing Iliotibial Band pain to the LCL. ITB pain is mostly caused by high volumes / high frequency running, especially when the individual runs a certain route the same direction each time.

I developed knee pain/ache due to forward knee travel. I started wearing knee sleeves while cleaning up my form. The pain was gone within a week or so. I am in my early 40s so keeping my knees from getting pissed off has become more of a priority than my younger days. Young bodies can get away with damn near anything.