starting strength gym

Thread: Power Bar Recommendations - Knurl like B&R, but more oxidation resistant

Default Power Bar Recommendations - Knurl like B&R, but more oxidation resistant

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Looking for barbell recommendations. Here's my situation:
    • I live in Atlanta and work out in my garage. Lots of humidity.
    • I use old steel/iron plates. Most have a decent amount of rust.
    • I do all the 5 typical SS lifts (Squat, Bench, Press, Deadlift, Power Cleans).
    • I don't do high-rep workouts like crossfit, etc.

I'm looking for ONE bar:
    • That can reasonably withstand the oxidation that comes with humidity when used/stored in my garage. I'm ok with weekly maintenance, I do it on my (bent) York International Black Oxide bar, now.
    • Has a center knurl that is sufficient for squats, but will not act as a cheese grater on power cleans
    • With sleeves that can withstand surface coating damage from power cleans/dead-lifts with steel/iron plates and which can withstand corrosion/oxidation due to contact with my rusty plates (Yes, I realize I should restore my plates)

I've used the Rogue B&R and find that it fits all my requirements except, obviously, corrosion-resistance. Can it be maintained and kept from significant corrosion if used/stored in a fairly humid garage?

Thanks,
    Ben
    Last edited by Ben Shugart; 06-24-2020 at 11:09 AM. Reason: My message/request wasn't exactly accurate the first time

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Shugart View Post
    • I do all the 5 typical SS lifts (Squat, Bench, Press, Deadlift, Power Cleans).

I'm looking for ONE bar:
    • That can reasonably withstand the oxidation that comes with humidity when used/stored in my garage. I'm ok with weekly maintenance, I do it on my (bent) York International Black Oxide bar, now.
    • Has a center knurl that is sufficient for squats, but will not act as a cheese grater on power cleans
    • With sleeves that can withstand surface coating damage from power cleans/dead-lifts with steel/iron plates and which can withstand corrosion/oxidation due to contact with my rusty plates (Yes, I realize I should restore my plates)

I've used the Rogue B&R and find that it fits all my requirements except, obviously, corrosion-resistance. Can it be maintained and kept from significant corrosion if used/stored in a fairly humid garage?

Thanks,
    Ben
    Rogue power bar can be ordered in stainless including sleeves.

Plenty of options
    Mark has discussed this subject many times over.
    He recommended Buddy and just recently said they are available to order.

I'm looking for ONE bar:

Thanks,
    Ben
    Have you thought about storing it in your house? I had the same issue because I have a detached garage gym, but I wanted a carbon steel bar since coatings hurt your grip and it's the cheapest option. I put hooks into my wall through the studs and hang it like a trophy. Guns are in the safe these days, but at least I can show off my bar haha

If you're set on storing it in the garage, then you should get a stainless bar and clean it often. You'll also need to clean and reoil the bushings more often since humidity (water) is a bad lubricant and it'll work its way into the bushings so your sleeves will not rotate as freely over time.

I'm looking for ONE bar:

Thanks,
    Ben
    I have a couple of b&r bars and a starting strength bar from Caps. I like the knurl on the Caps bar best. The center knurl is fine for cleans and pressing (occasional nose scrapes). As far as maintenance is concerned, it’s really minimal - scrub it with a wire brush
    then wipe it with 3 in 1 or wd 40, then wipe it off with a rag. I do this once a week. Every couple of years I pull the sleeves off to clean and lube them. Once the bar steel bars age and develop a patina then maintaining the bar is even easier.

If you take care of it a bare steel bar is fine and will last forever unless you bend it.

hope this helps,

Barry

starting strength coach development program
    I don’t understand the issue with bare steel? I have a rogue power, and deadliftbar bare steel. It’s the only acceptable Finnish in my opinion.

All I do is brush the bars off with a nylon brush after each workout. Once a year I put a few drops in the sleeves and give er a spin.

No rust, the bars just look “older”, and cooler all the time.