starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder surgery rehab

Default Shoulder surgery rehab

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

I have a torn rotator cuff and torn labrum, exacerbated by a bone spur. I'm getting all of these corrected via surgery on 7/13.

I'm skeptical of the physical therapy I will no doubt be prescribed and was wondering if there is a recommended approach here. Would the standard starr protocol with press work?

Intermediate in terms of training.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ektil View Post
    Hi all,

I have a torn rotator cuff and torn labrum, exacerbated by a bone spur. I'm getting all of these corrected via surgery on 7/13.

I'm skeptical of the physical therapy I will no doubt be prescribed and was wondering if there is a recommended approach here. Would the standard starr protocol with press work?

Thanks.
    In short, no, the Starr Method is not appropriate for post-surgical rehab. Further, actual recommendations for post operative rehabilitation should come from a professional consultation with a qualified professional coach. There are far too many factors to appropriately recommend a post op rehab program via a message board.

I'm doing triceps rehab right now and, based on advice from Andy Baker, I'm using physical therapist John E. Petrizzo via Zoom. He's a weightlifter and a client of Andy's, so has a better appreciation of what your body is capable of than a non-lifter PT. I'm making vastly better progress than I would have had I merely followed the very conservative advice of my ortho.

Quote Originally Posted by ektil View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks.