starting strength gym

Thread: DIY Deadlift Platform for Home Gym - Compact, cheap and functional

Default DIY Deadlift Platform for Home Gym - Compact, cheap and functional

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is the deadlift platform I made for my home gym on a very tight budget within the space constraints of my kid's bedroom cum wife's work from office space:

Video: YouTube

1) 1.5" inch thick centre platform made by screwing two numbers of 3/4" thick, 3 ft x 3 ft plywood sheets (36 mm height)
    2) 2 numbers of 10 mm thick, 2 ft x 2 ft rubber mats, the type you see in cross fit boxes, placed over 3/4" thick, 2ft x 2 ft plywood sheets on either sides (38 mm height)

It keeps the floors and the bar safe. It isn't super silent because I use metal plates, but not noisy either. You can do power cleans as well (hence 3 ft x 3 ft centre platform), but you can't drop the weights - I catch the bar after cleaning and then put it down like in the deadlift like when you do while cleaning with metal plates. Demo is with single plate, but I don't see why it would not withstand even a five plate deadlift - but I would have gone for a real platform if I were that strong.

Anyway, not bad for something that cost me under INR 5300/- (about ~ US$ 70), right?. Happy lifting.

I'd sure like to see you spend some money on some shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'd sure like to see you spend some money on some shoes.

I am trying to get a good lifting shoe, Coach. I want to get a pair with 0.5 inch heel as you recommend, but no good brands are available in India. Just before the lockdown, I was trying to get Adipowers from the US through a friend, but now that is not going to happen for quite some time.

Native brands like RXN and ASE have 1 inch heel or above. I had bought a pair with 1" heel drop, but I had to return it because it was making me unstable by throwing me forward at the bottom of the squat. I feel really comfortable in a wrestling shoe with near zero heel, but I know that this community doesn't approve it.

This community does not have to approve of anything you do. If you want to lift barefooted, go ahead. But there are good reasons not to.

I know, I know.

I should have mentioned that a new pair of wrestling shoes is in transit, but it takes forever to get the mail these days.

I'm not talking about wrestling shoes. But, it doesn't matter. Have fun with your training.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'm not talking about wrestling shoes. But, it doesn't matter. Have fun with your training.
    Right Coach, I understand: "Poorly designed or incorrectly utilised footwear completely undermines your application of the elegant [Starting Strength] model." (Page 68, 3rd Edition of SSBBT)

Also, "avoid shoes with heels higher than 1 inch...." . You cite the reason as the possible difficulties while pulling, but I have experimentally found out that my squat also gets affected by 1 inch heel.

Then, "the primary beneficial feature of a squat shoe is its lack of heel compressibility", and "power lifting shoes have relatively flat soles". I have experienced that the wrestling shoes meet both criteria. They also provide excellent ankle support. I also understand their limitations: the lack of metatarsal straps (I know a good cobbler who can add them to the wrestling shoes- hope it works) and may be the lack of flexural stiffness of the sole.

As I had mentioned earlier, I am going for a wrestling shoes as a stop gap solution because I am not able to find a good lifting shoe with 0.5, or max 0.75" heel at this point of time. I will "buy the damn shoes", the proper type, at the earliest possible opportunity.