starting strength gym

Thread: Back and rotator cuff injuries

Default Back and rotator cuff injuries

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,

I'm asking these question on behalf of my brother who has no experience of strength training and has never set foot in a gym.

He's been suffering from pain associated with a back injury for a long time and he seems pretty depressed about it. I'm not sure exactly how long, but definitely over a year.

It's an L5 S1 broad based disc herniation with neuropathy down both legs to knee, which has improved, but he said his right foot and toes have been left with numbness. He also has a mild scoliosis at lower thoracic spine (probably not relevant).

He's also just hurt his rotator cuff for the second time while swimming (the first time was during a rock climbing session). I wouldn't have thought it's a serious tear but he's only just done it.

If he had incorporated strength training into his routine, he may have avoided these injuries. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. He is a road cyclist and occasional indoor rock climber.

Basically, I wanted to ask if he can start strength training once his rotator cuff heals. It makes logical sense to me but I don't know anything about back injuries.

If so, I'll buy him a copy of the Barbell Prescription. He's 41 years old. Completely untrained novice. 5 foot 10 tall (177cm) and weighs about 11 to 12 stone (70 to 76kg).

I trained with a minor rotator cuff tear. The best way to find out is to go and try. Sometimes the RC will be aggravated by pressing movements like the bench, but with proper technique, narrow grip and tempering the intensity/volume, it can still be done. Deadlifts and Squats aren’t usually a problem. There are a couple of exercises which can be done using the cable machine which helped my recovery.

Can’t tell you anything about the back problem, but many people get them and deadlifting has helped relieve back pain. Might not be the case in this particular instance.

Thanks Nokian.

Turns out he had actually dislocated his shoulder. Not sure if that's better, worse or roughly equal to a serious rotator cuff tear.

I'm actually more concerned about the back injury and whether it contraindicates the use of squats and/or deadlifts.