starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Stuck

Default Squat Stuck

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My squat has been stuck for a few weeks now. I was doing the advanced novice with a Wednesday light day and back off sets on the two heavy days. That extension of LP got me to 295 x 5 squat and then I stalled at a 300 x 4 squat. I have already had to reset on my Lp a couple of times so I decided to switch to intermediate programming. I began my first volume day with 5x5 @ 250 and the first intensity day was 290 x 5 On the second week I added 5lbs on volume day which went ok but on intensity day I only got 295 x 3 on squat. Did I start this out too heavy? My volume day squats are fairly hard, had to rest 8 min between sets. The intensity days however feel heavy as hell. I am clearly digging myself in a hole here, not making progress on the squat. All my other lifts are going up and I am eating like a horse, about 4000 calories a day. I’m adding 5lbs a week to my deadlift every Friday. Also micro loading upper body lifts. I don’t know if I should lighten the weight on squats and work back up or make a different program change. I’m getting 8 hours of sleep most nights, sometimes 7. Thanks for any advice.

This is what my program looks like.

Sunday:
    Intensity Bench 2x3
    Volume Press 5x5
    Chins 3x5

Monday:
    Volume Squat 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    rows 3x8

Wednesday:
    Light squat 2x5
    Intensity Press 2x3
    Volume Bench 5x5
    Chins 3x8

Friday:
    Intensity Squat: 1x5
    Deadlift 2x3

My stats:
    Height: 5’ 8”
    Weight: 190
    Bench: 2x3 @ 257.5
    Press 2x3 @ 167.5
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 350
    Squat 1x5 @ 295

Here’s a video of my 290 x 5 squat
    Squat 290x5 - YouTube

Given the resets and extensions you used, this was likely too high of a start for you: You failed 300x5 and then dropped only 10lb to start the new round. Remember also, TM is not for everyone. In fact it is not for most people. You may likely need to adjust further to not run yourself into the ground (i.e., volume SQ 5x5 is too much for most people).

For your SQ, you need to lean over more at the start.

Ok thank you. So I should back off the weight and try taking a set or two off of my volume day?

Yes, drop down a bit more or maybe even program a deload week first and then start back up again at the lower weights. Then try 4x5 for volume day.