starting strength gym

Thread: Help diagnose pain after OHP

Default Help diagnose pain after OHP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Soreness immediately after and then intensifying the day after doing OHP, pain feels the like spine of the middle back, inside the left scapula. Can feel the pain when I tilt my head down as if looking at my feet. That shoulder is higher than my right, I would say the difference is significant. Hoping someone can tell by this description what specifically is happening and what I can do to fix this problem.

Hi Zewski,

What your explaining sounds like a typical tweak of one the upper back muscles. Possibly the upper trap or levator scap, as it is stretched/lengthened when looking down at your feet. And with your left more elevated than your right shoulder it leads me to think its an upper trap tweak/spasm. This may take a couple of days to a couple of weeks to resolve. I assume its already feeling a little better? You should continue training, returning to the OHP with a manageable, pain free weight. I expect this weight to be significantly lighter to begin. Since you did not provide any training loads, here's is an example.

Lets say you did 3 sets 5 at 115# on date of injury--> return to training 3 sets of 5 at 55#, following session 65#, then 75#, 85# 95#, Once you get to 105# return back to 5# or 2.5# jumps. This will get you back to your preinjury weight in about 3 weeks time.

If benching does not cause an increase in symptoms you can continue your progression.

Hope this helps

If you need further assistance or interested in a form check, please email me at cpalladino29@gmail.com

It’s a persistent injury, back when I was doing calisthenics I had the same problem. The pain ceases upon full recovery (about 2 days), but remerges every time I perform OHP. I’m just pressing the bar for now for 3 sets of 5.

Again, your explanation is very general but the fact that the pain subsides within 48 hours is good. What I suggest is to scale back to a pain free weight and pain free ROM. If your currently using a 45lb bar with symptoms, you might need to scale down to a 15 or 35# bar.

Is the pain occurring at the top of the press? If so, you should complete a partial press from the rack position to a point right before you experience pain. Shoot for 10 reps here on the first session, next session increase the range by 1-2inches and complete 8-10 reps, continue to increase ROM over 4-5 more sessions while decreasing the reps back down to 5. Once you are able to complete a full ROM, 3 sets of 5 with the 45lb bar then you can continue adding 2.5-5#. This process will take 3-4 weeks to complete.

Is the pain occurring at the bottom of the rack position? If so, you should set your J-hooks high near the lockout position and perform the press by lowering the bar to a point right before you experience pain. Continue with the same recommendation from above.

It would also be a good idea to get in front of a coach.
    Hope this helps.

Appreciate your help Chris.

I don’t experience any pain during the lifts, not accute pain in any case, although I can feel the spot start to get agitated. The pain starts after the workout, and is more accute the following day. I am completing 3 sets of 5 with the 45 lb bar, getting the bar up there feels “effortless”. I did actually get in front of a coach, not a SS coach but a strength coach nonetheless and he could not identify anything wrong with my form. I am wondering if this can be caused by a pinched nerve or something? It seems that there is a muscle in my scapula that becomes inflamed with any exhaustive use. Just pressing the bar is light enough to not agitate too bad, but if I was doing a 5 RM it would almost certainly cause me pain the next 2 days. I’m wondering if this is an injury or muscle weakness that is likely to subside naturally by training through it? I have reduced ROM in that shoulder as well.

starting strength coach development program
    Maybe your coach is missing something in your form...

The way you describe the delay in pain sounds more muscular then nerve.

Stick to the training, make smaller jumps (2.5-5#). When 3 sets of 5 gets tough, switch to 5 sets of 3 reps, be more conservative.
    Don't worry about your 5RM, you don't need to test a max effort right now.

Good Luck