starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift 1 x 5

Default Deadlift 1 x 5

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Greetings from Indiana! First post, so please be nice.

I'm about 90 days into the NLP and love it. Deadlifts are currently 395 lbs. for 5 but seem to be coming to a halt. The first one is very heavy. Then I reset and the second pull always seems just slightly easier. By the third pull I'm already drenched in sweat and extremely winded -- I remain strapped to the bar, but I'm probably waiting about 15-20 seconds before attempting the 4th pull, which is the worst - I'm slow to lock it out, and a panting like I just ran a marathon. I probably waited another 30-40 seconds before the 5th pull, which came up ok. I then have an overwhelming feeling of exhaustion, profoundly sweaty, and a bit light headed until I take a knee for a minute or so to regroup.

Stats:
    44 y/o
    5'11.5", 202lbs.
    he/him/typical XY chromosome pairing

Is my rest/pause between pulls OK, or is this a version of form creep? If I try 400 for 5 I'm just going to need longer breaks. Given my (albeit subjective) level of exhaustion, can I switch to triples where I feel like I'll be able to keep making a bit more progress?

BTW I recently picked up SS3d. audio version, and love the fact that you narrate it -- your voice is made for it.

Keep up the good work sir!

While you're considering the 3 questions, and your bodyweight, think about this.

I've found that prolonging the set like this never makes those last reps any easier. The ongoing fatigue you describe is normal, but it sets in over the course of 30 seconds to a minute regardless of whether you're pulling a triple or a 5. If you can get your reps in before that all really sets in you'll be better off. Spend your time sucking wind after the set, not during it.