starting strength gym

Thread: Any use for Volume deadlifts (1x10 or 2x5) in Intermediate training?

Default Any use for Volume deadlifts (1x10 or 2x5) in Intermediate training?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

I am wondering if Volume deadlifts could provide any strength benefit in the Intermediate training phase. I understand that deadlifts usually involve the heaviest weight, hence care must be taken to manage the stress incurred from them, hence only 1 work set is advised (either 5RM, 3RM, or 1RM). That being said, I notice that all the other main lifts (squat, press, bench) include Volume and Intensity "versions" that you alternate through, in the Intermediate phase, to drive long-term strength gains. Is there a reason that a "Volume" version of the deadlift isn't included, in similar fashion to the other lifts? Maybe not 5 sets of 5, but perhaps a single set of 10 reps at 70 - 80% of your DL max (or 2 sets of 5 reps)? Might this not be a way to introduce meaningful DL volume, without overstressing the lower back (assuming, of course, that you alternate this with the normal Intensity 5RM deadlift workouts)?

I'm sure there's a good reason Volume deadlifts weren't included - perhaps power cleans are better at introducing "pulling volume," or perhaps Volume deadlifts simply don't provide the long-term strength benefit that Volume squats, presses, and bench presses do (therefore making it pointless to deviate from the prescribed single set of 5 heavy reps for DLs).

I appreciate any clarification. Thanks!

-skypig

Yes, 2x5 DL for the volume or medium day is an option. I use it a lot.

Thanks, will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Yes, 2x5 DL for the volume or medium day is an option. I use it a lot.
    Would your recommendation vary with the age of the trainee? I'm 59 and volume kills me.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Would your recommendation vary with the age of the trainee? I'm 59 and volume kills me.
    Absolutely. Various modifications will be needed as one gets old. Sometimes 2x5 with one set being a top set and the other being a backoff works. Sometimes that is too much based on age and that day turns into just a Chin/Lat-Pulldown day (such that there is only 1 regular DL day).

starting strength coach development program
    When I was doing a 4 day texas method, I did my intensity day at 1X5, then 2X3 once that got too difficult to keep adding 5 lbs each week, and then for the volume day I did 3X5 at 85% ish of the intensity day. It seemed to work pretty well for me.