starting strength gym

Thread: Upper Back woes

Default Upper Back woes

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been dealing with upper back pain for almost two years, progressively getting worse this last year. Pulls, in particular, have gotten really painful, as as pressing. Bench is difficult just insofar as I have to get back up off the bench after a set. I've seen my GP, who referred me to an orthopedist. X-rays just revealed minor scoliosis and standard degenerative disc disease for a 53 year old dude. PT, consisting of a few stretches and massage, did not improve the situation. MRI results just came in. Ortho thinks my problems are arthritis and is referring me to a rheumatologist. Pain gets worse as the day goes on and sleeping has been a real problem since February.

MRI report copied and pasted below.

I guess the question is rather simple -- and one I frankly forgot to ask my ortho -- do I risk further injury by re-starting training? I've stopped for the past few months as I've gone through this. But, of course, I'm even more miserable.

Thoughts, recommendations, and ideas about what I should be asking, are all hugely appreciated

Here's the MRI report:

HISTORY: Mid back pain

TECHNIQUE: Multiplanar multisequence images were obtained of the thoracic spine without contrast.

COMPARISON: None available.

FINDINGS: Thoracic spine demonstrate good alignment. Multilevel disc desiccation noted at T2-T3, T3-T4, T6-T7, T7-T8. There is a Schmorl's node inferior endplate of T6 the central canal is patent. Spinal cord is normal. There is no disc bulge or protrusion. Multilevel facet osteoarthritis noted. The central canal and neural foramina are patent. There is some marrow edema seen in the right third through fifth ribs worse at the fifth rib costovertebral junction this may be due to osteoarthritis. There is no displaced fracture noted.

IMPRESSION:

Multilevel disc desiccation noted without acute fracture.

There is rib edema noted at the right second rib at the costovertebral junction. Similar picture is noted in the right third rib and right fourth rib. It is worse at the right fifth rib costovertebral junction. This is nonspecific in nature and may be due to osteoarthritis. Curvature noted in the thoracic spine apex right.

Thomas,

To answer you question, the chance of reinjury is minimal when you are
    1. following the program
    2. completing the lifts with correct form
    3. Checking your ego, what I mean by that is... I am not sure of the loads you were previously lifting but perhaps a slower approach to LP is necessary to keep you healthy and strong. Things like volume, frequency and load may have to be slightly adjusted.

With that said, that is a pretty standard MRI for a guy your age with some back pain.

I would to recommend continue your training and start with rack pulls instead of DL on the floor. Start conservative with a pain free weight at about knee height for the rack pull. Each session lower the pin by one keeping the weight the same by one until the bar is on the floor. Then you can begin adding 5#

If the press is problematic, I would either get in front of a coach to confirm your form or hold off on it until the DL is on the floor, while you build some thoracic and lumbar strength. In that case you can alternate Bench Press with a close grip bench.

keep me posted and good luck