Thread: Programming ideas for YNDTP fatloss

Default Programming ideas for YNDTP fatloss

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ginger Pigglets post NLP emergency weight loss

Ginger Pigglets post NLP emergency weight loss

I'll be honest I'm NDTFP

This doesn't get talked about alot because most people here don't really need to lose weight or at least not a significant amount and just need to get stronger. I'm not that body dismorphic 25 year old obsessed will abs. I did an abbreviated NLP, I got stronger/ish.

Current stats
    Age 36, 5'10" 343lbs
    SQ 420#x5
    PR 214#x4
    BP 325#x4
    DL 430# x4

But it would be nice if my tits didn't sag to the side and people didn't think I was gonna go floating with an intertube when I take my shirt off. Plus my gut is really screwing up my Deadlift. And I don't think it's normal to valsalva to tie your shoes.

So here's where I'm at, weight is finally moving in a downward trend around 2000-2500calories/day. My priority is weight loss but I'd like to keep as much strength as I can, I worked my ass off for it.

I understand I'm gonna start getting stuck, because I'm eating like a starving martian at a hipster yoga interpretive dance retreat. But my thinking is that by keeping doing the things that make muscles big and strong it should keep me stronger, longer until I can eat to support better training.

With that said I've already dropped to 2 lifts a day with one pulling accessory. I just can't muster the energy for 3 big lifts.

With this trend towards missed reps should I keep adding weight to 4 rep sets? Then continue adding with 3 rep sets next and reset back to 5's after I stall with doubles?

Or

Another option to afford more recovery on the lower calories is the 1 day on, 2 days off workout scheme? (I accidentally do this any way because of 12 -16 hr shifts)

Or

Should I take the top set of 5reps and perform back offs at 85% x5 x2 sets?

Or

Should I be subbing in partials every other workout (pin press, haltings, rack pulls) and treat it like an artificial intermediate?

I searched for these answers but it seems most programming is geared towards a better nutritional situation. I'd really like to keep what I've built these last 6 months. I'm within 10-15% of some lifetime PRs from my twenties and I dont mind chipping away at that gap 1pound at a time. Just hoping there's a better way.

Thanks

I think you should consult Santana either on the nutrition board or do an actual consultation. The guy not only does nutrition but also does programming, so maybe he could write something up to help you out.

I second the recommendation. Talk to Santana.

Having said that, I bet you'll have better luck if you keep your calories a little higher for now, like 2500 to 3000. It'll allow you to keep training hard.

The usual recommendation is keep protein high, carbs moderately high, and fats low. If you need to cut more carbs, you can, but you can boost them around your workouts.

Andy Baker has a YouTube video with a somewhat different approach, built around an HLM training template. He advocates restricting carbs more drastically, with the exception of the night before the heavy day, which is a weekly cheat meal. I haven't done that myself but it may be worth considering.

Regardless, you should think about transitioning to an intermediate program, especially since you're starting to miss reps. Training on a deficit will make a weekly progression a necessity at this point.
    Last edited by Matt James; 03-01-2021 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

@Matt James thanks I did read
    Re-Thinking Your Training Program on a Cut - Andy Baker

Best Strength Program While Cutting Body Fat - Andy Baker

which seems reasonable on the HLM template and not pushing limit 1-4rep sets.

I'd love to be eating 3000 cals but I just wasn't losing any weight after a month in that range. I could probability get away with 2500 x 3 nights a week the day before trainings or at least once the day before that heavy day in an HLM setup .

I'll reach out or Santana

Thanks for the responses