starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder and wrist mobility

Default Shoulder and wrist mobility

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am a 60 y/o lifter. I have lifted for 36 years pretty much continuously and consider myself fairly strong for my size and age. I have some shoulder and wrist mobility issue due to 3 shoulder surgeries and Lyme’s disease. Where these mobility issues limit me are particularly in the low bar squat, front squats and cleans.
    Any advice on how to improve my mobility? If not really possible, I have been doing high bar squats without issue and using the landline for a jump clean with a 90 degree turn to build some explosive power. Are these adequate substitutes given my limitations? Any other recommendations?
    Thanks for your help,

Quote Originally Posted by KevinMe View Post
    I am a 60 y/o lifter. I have lifted for 36 years pretty much continuously and consider myself fairly strong for my size and age. I have some shoulder and wrist mobility issue due to 3 shoulder surgeries and Lyme’s disease. Where these mobility issues limit me are particularly in the low bar squat, front squats and cleans.
    Any advice on how to improve my mobility? If not really possible, I have been doing high bar squats without issue and using the landline for a jump clean with a 90 degree turn to build some explosive power. Are these adequate substitutes given my limitations? Any other recommendations?
    Thanks for your help,
    Granted: I cannot evaluate your shoulder from here, but, a safety squat bar or a cambered bar (Yukon bar from Titan or Duffalo bar from Kabuki) are both solid options to allow you to low bar squat even with shoulder issues. I prefer the cambered bar to a SSB, but I am likely within a small minority of people with this belief. Can you catch a power snatch overhead?