Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Plano

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Default Starting Strength Plano

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Well I guess it's time for the gym to have it's own thread considering it's got it's own bank account, EID number, etc.

The success of the Plano gym will be very much a reflection of the success we have had with the Dallas gym and I am glad that I will have a handful of seed members to start the gym out. The culture we have developed at the Dallas gym is absolutely out of this world and I know that the Plano gym will develop it's own tribe and bring more folks into the Starting Strength fold.

Ok, enough handwaving and softness. Brass tacks:

Intro sessions have begun. Full class schedule begins on Monday the 26th. It is going to be down to the wire but we will get it done. Rubber matts are getting loaded on a truck and driven straight here from Galveston (because that's where they cut the mats obviously, didn't you know?) on Friday. Most of my 45lb plates have been delivered (thanks team for unloading and Grant for making miracles happen I won't ask what you had to do...) and the rest of the change plates will arrive today or tomorrow.

The new racks are SICK! Deeper and longer.... She likes it.

We also stepped the speaker game up and went with a SONOS five. That thing has some kick! I know Rip doesn't listen to music when he is doing a heavy set but not many people are Rip...

Here are some shots from our very first intro session.

Starting Strength Coach

Ok, so full schedule started this past Monday and we had a pretty good turnout. All the mats have now been installed and there have been several updates to the design and execution of the gym. I already mentioned the deeper and taller racks. But the rubber mats are also very different. Much more firm and solid. Really feels like squatting on concrete vs rubber mats. Really pleased with the aesthetics and functionality of the gym.

Starting Strength Coach

One more photo: pretty dog and pretty plates.

Starting Strength Coach

Things are off to a really great start at the Plano location. There are still some loose ends that we are attending to with regard to buildout but they are more of the cosmetic type than the actual use of racks to get people stronger. Speaking of getting people stronger the morning session on MWF is starting to fill up. Only two spots left at this point. Same for the Tue Thurs noon session.

Was very happy to see some familiar faces last week. Steve was a Dallas member and now that we are closer to him in Plano (he lives in Frisco) I no longer have to shout at my computer while I am breaking down his online videos. Now I can grab him and move him around. You know, ACTUAL coaching! Steve brought his two sons. Dominic on the left is just 21yrs old, lives at home, and daddy buy's the groceries. I hope daddy is ready to buy Dominic a new wardrobe. He is going to split that shirt and those shorts right down the seam by the time we are done with him.

Starting Strength Coach

Plano is rockin and rolling here. We are now up to 51 members with both of our morning sessions on MWF sold out and waitlist only. Several of our other sessions only have one or two spots open so make sure and register if you are on the fence. We took one of our Plano coaches the WFAC this past weekend to compete in the first three lift Olympic Weightlifting meet since the 70's.

Matt Hebert won his weightclass and confirmed how much of an explosive lifter he really is. Well done, Matt.

Also wanted to give a quick shout out to our most senior member at 86 years young, Lolisa. She has come a long way since she started and is now squatting with weight.

The smile says it all...

Starting Strength Coach

We got a new torture device, I mean, toy for the Plano Gym yesterday. I really wanted the rogue echo bike for the Plano Gym but do not love giving Rogue more money for reasons I will not get into here. What is a gym owner to do? I found a used echo bike but in EXCELLENT condition on Facebook market place out in Ft Worth. When I went to pick it up I met with the seller and saw how much other gym equipment she had in storage. It turns out she had a small gym business (similar to a Crossfit style gym) and had to shut down due to covid. Stories like this really piss me off and make my heart hurt for those people. I am grateful everyday for the members that stuck with us during the covid closure to ensure we would have a gym to come back to. I am also equally resolved to NEVER shut down again due to unconstitutional decrees from on high. Ok rant over. Happy that I was able to help out a fellow former business owner by providing some liquidity to her assets while not lining the pockets of the Rogue conglomerate.

Starting Strength Coach

Starting Strength Coach

Time to start thinking about our field day event again! After being rained out of our last date in May then getting scorched out of the summer months things will soon (I am told...) start cooling off enough for us to do something outdoors. I've got all the gear in my garage just itching to be used (plus it's taking up lots of space on my garage gym platform).

Stay tuned for tentative dates. We will likely issue a poll to our members to lock this in.

In case you forgot invents to include:
    Tug of War
    Heavy Sand Bag Relay Race
    Uphill Hay Bail Roll (think Promethius)
    Shot Put
    Egg Toss
    King of the Joust
    Tractor Pull

Starting Strength Coach

We were fortunate enough to get a visit from uncle Rippy last week. Here he is with one of member's, Will.

Afterward we went next door for some Korean fried chicken. This place just opened up and I have been eagerly awaiting their grand opening. They did not dissapoint. Rip said this was the best fried chicken he has ever had; to which I replied "I feel like you say that a lot...". But seriously folks, this place is good.

I'm amazed by how much awesome food there is in the area of the Plano gym. Might have to check out that asian noodle place next time you are in towns, Rip. They make hand pulled biang noodles.

starting strength coach development program
    those aint texas coyboy boots

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast