starting strength gym

Thread: Total newbie help

Default Total newbie help

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello! I read the SS book a long time ago and I'm trying to get into weight lifting. I started using the official app and have questions:

1.) I tried to find the "right" starting weight for my workouts but on the second week it had me deadlifting 135pounds and that's a PR for me. Is that right?
    2.) I feel like I could try to do the weights it suggests but I feel my form isn't great but then is it just between not having good form and also just constantly deloading?
    3.) Wow there are so many sets for warmups! Do most people do all of these to make sure they are ready to lift?
    4.) I have a strong urge to save time so I want to do a deadlift warm up during my recovery time for bench pressing, how wrong is that? Or is that okay?
    5.) Is 120s the best rest time and I should just not do anything during that rest time?
    6.) Overhead presses feel super heavy for me with the 45 bar, any suggestions?

Hoping this is a friendly community, sorry if these are dumb questions.

This community is friendly enough, but it is impatient with people who will not read before asking.

How old are you? What is your height and weight?

I have a pair of (almost) full diameter 10 lb bumper plates, which let me start with a 65 deadlift to warm up.
    I do all the warm ups per the app because I’m afraid to get hurt if I don’t.
    I started my overhead press with the empty bar because just that felt heavy.
    I have heard that if you’re pressed for time, warming up the next exercise during the rests between work sets of the current exercise can be done to save time.

Non of this is advice, just something I do, or have heard.

I would advise starting a log on the forum which will get you some friendly advice from the regulars who have been at this much longer than I.

Welcome and good luck!

M/F, age, weight, height? Etc

1) as a novice, every time you lift should be a PR

2) unclear, I think you’re asking the age old question of whether it is better to progress or work on form. Answer is it depends and there are a lot of threads about that subject here.

3) really shouldn’t be that many, especially for a novice. For deadlifts I usually do a single set of five, a triple, and a single because my other lifts have me warmed up sufficiently. Ymmv.

4) give it a try. If interferes with your bench too much then drop it.

5) the best rest time is what it takes to be able to do the next set. You can start with two minutes and then titrate up in 30s intervals from there. 5 minutes is the recommended minimum but early on you can get away with a little less. Be prepared to be upwards of 8 - 10 by the end of the novice phase.

6) buy a lighter bar or do a lot of singles until you can get a set of 5. Get some micro plates soon.

Learn how to search these forums. Read the books, then read them again. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rjanedoe View Post
    Hello! I read the SS book a long time ago and I'm trying to get into weight lifting. I started using the official app and have questions:

1.) I tried to find the "right" starting weight for my workouts but on the second week it had me deadlifting 135pounds and that's a PR for me. Is that right?
    2.) I feel like I could try to do the weights it suggests but I feel my form isn't great but then is it just between not having good form and also just constantly deloading?
    3.) Wow there are so many sets for warmups! Do most people do all of these to make sure they are ready to lift?
    4.) I have a strong urge to save time so I want to do a deadlift warm up during my recovery time for bench pressing, how wrong is that? Or is that okay?
    5.) Is 120s the best rest time and I should just not do anything during that rest time?
    6.) Overhead presses feel super heavy for me with the 45 bar, any suggestions?

Hoping this is a friendly community, sorry if these are dumb questions.
    Read SS again.

!) Procedure for picking start weights is in the books, it'll leave you with room to grow and a little while before you hit heavy stuff so you can nail down your technique. Take advantage of that time to do so.
    2) I'm not sure what you mean. The book doesn't suggest any specific weights. That's why the program can be applied to such a wide array of people.
    3) I do all of them for mine, though occasionally I fuck up something and end up abbreviating them. I think many just do a full warmup for squats, then at least a shorter one for deadlifts.
    4) Warming up the next lift while resting from the prior one is in fact something that has been suggested and utilized to save time. Works great if you're at home. Probably won't work out so well at a gym if you have to go between a bench and a rack a bunch.
    5) The best rest time is whatever lets you complete the next set. You can get away with shorter intervals when you're starting out lighter. Eventually you will miss reps in the third or even second set, that's when it's time to increase the rest time for sure.
    6) I assume you are female from the name? Struggling to press 45 at the start is perfectly normal for women. There are lighter bars that are made that will allow you to start from a lighter point for your press. If you are working out at a gym, you can usually find them there, but be warned, they may be highly coveted by curlbros. I often have to search for one not be used by them when it comes time for my girlfriend to start warming up her press.