starting strength gym

Thread: reduce calories while battling injuries?

Default reduce calories while battling injuries?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi folks, looking for some input on diet while working through an injury. I am really struggling with tendonitis in my left elbow stemming from squats—the normal stuff. The pain started two months ago, but only in the last three weeks or so has it affected my training. On Monday I started the chin-up protocol, but thinking that could take some time to work since a full set of chins for me is just 4, so my submaximal set is just 1 rep. Did 10 Monday, 15 yesterday, and plan to keep going up by five until I get to 25, then try to add more reps.

My question is, should I reduce calories while I’m fighting through this? Asking because my body weight continues to increase, but the weight on the bar is pretty much staying the same. My only lift that is progressing on schedule is the deadlift (405). Work sets for squats (300lbs) are going backwards, ohp stuck in neutral (150), and yesterday I couldn't even complete warmup sets for bench (202.5). I’m going to continue training, but plan to drop squat sets down to whatever painless is (think 225ish) and work back up.

Intake is 4k calories, 210-225g protein, 180-210g fat, 300g+ carbs. I’m 6’2”, 231lbs., 33 years old, male.

Appreciate the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by oface View Post
    Hi folks, looking for some input on diet while working through an injury. I am really struggling with tendonitis in my left elbow stemming from squats—the normal stuff. The pain started two months ago, but only in the last three weeks or so has it affected my training. On Monday I started the chin-up protocol, but thinking that could take some time to work since a full set of chins for me is just 4, so my submaximal set is just 1 rep. Did 10 Monday, 15 yesterday, and plan to keep going up by five until I get to 25, then try to add more reps.

My question is, should I reduce calories while I’m fighting through this? Asking because my body weight continues to increase, but the weight on the bar is pretty much staying the same. My only lift that is progressing on schedule is the deadlift (405). Work sets for squats (300lbs) are going backwards, ohp stuck in neutral (150), and yesterday I couldn't even complete warmup sets for bench (202.5). I’m going to continue training, but plan to drop squat sets down to whatever painless is (think 225ish) and work back up.

Intake is 4k calories, 210-225g protein, 180-210g fat, 300g+ carbs. I’m 6’2”, 231lbs., 33 years old, male.

Appreciate the advice.
    If you are limiting your training, your nutritional intake needs to be reflective of the changes in your training. If you are reducing volume, intensity, frequency, etc, you need to reduce the volume, intensity, and frequency of feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    If you are limiting your training, your nutritional intake needs to be reflective of the changes in your training. If you are reducing volume, intensity, frequency, etc, you need to reduce the volume, intensity, and frequency of feeding.
    Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by oface View Post
    Much appreciated.
    I might suggest you rethink your macronutrient breakdown. Rough estimate has your total caloric intake being almost 50% fat. I wouldn't suggest more than 30% at the very high end for total calorie intake from fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    I might suggest you rethink your macronutrient breakdown. Rough estimate has your total caloric intake being almost 50% fat. I wouldn't suggest more than 30% at the very high end for total calorie intake from fat.
    Thanks for this flag, as well. Yes, fat intake has been high owing to a lot of whole milk and yogurt (I have three young children, so it's far easier to drink calories than prep and eat them). I've reduced to 1% milk and no-fat yogurt and can get total fat down to slightly over 100g/day while keeping protein around 220g. Hope to knock this elbow stuff out soon.

Again, thanks for pointing this out.