starting strength gym

Thread: If people understood athletics.

Default If people understood athletics.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Do you feel that if everyone understood that pro sport athletes say NFL for example, won the genetic lottery that less people would watch pro sports. I feel like pro sports and the media sell a narrative that hard work and self belief will get you anywhere you want to be. Its the same crap they use when they say to be the best you dont need steriods. We know that the only reason tyreke hill runs a 4.2 and has 40 inch vertical is genetics and of course working out some, but no more then your hardcore gym member. But obviously your gym member doesn't run a 4.2 or jump over 3 feet in the air. I feel high school athletes especially the parents need to understand this. Hard work doesn't insure success. Yet you have these coaches saying I'll take hard work over talent.

It is possible that a hard-working athlete of above-average talent can get further in athletics that a lazy freak athlete. But it's not likely, everybody knows this, and statements by coaches must be kept in perspective -- they're not very intelligent people, and they may have other reasons for saying patently false platitudes.

Mr. Rippetoe - do you think there is something deceptive about modern hierarchical structures? It seems like our society puts a premium on the wrong things, and creates hierarchical structures that select for people like the "not very intelligent" coaches you speak of assuming the top position. It's not a political argument I'm trying to make here. You also speak about this when it comes to the exercise science hierarchy within the academic realm. I took one exercise science course while in college, and dropped it before I lost all my money because the professor got out of breath walking from her chair to the white board, and knew less about actually implementing "exercise routines" than I know about buttering bread.