starting strength gym

Thread: Multiple sclerosis special snowflake and shoes

Default Multiple sclerosis special snowflake and shoes

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am one of those exception to the rule women and my husband is my trainer. However, we do travel an hour away to a Starting Strength gym in Omaha when my better half hits a roadblock with my training. Mark has always, somewhat irritatingly, been right in helping me gain strength as in the seated press when I lacked the balance necessary to accomplish it standing.
    Question: I already know your stance on shoes and have always utilized a recommended pair. My feet still tend to want to shift in the squat due to my balance adjustment. My form otherwise seems good. Bar travel, chest down, and knee position, and depth are adequate. On a whim I tried my minimalist shoes I wear for deadlift and living (I don't trip and fall near as much in these) for the squat. Interestingly enough, my feet don't seem to want to wallow and balance seems way easier using them. I always had my Powerlifts cinched snug when using them. How dumb is it to use my minimalist shoes for the squat? My heaviest squat has only been 126 lb. Testify Gym in Omaha has checked my form before. It took me six months to develop the balance to body weight squat so, for me, I've accomplished a lot.
    Is there any reason I should use my minimalist for a time or would I just be a dumbass for considering it? Thank you for your time and consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I am one of those exception to the rule women and my husband is my trainer. However, we do travel an hour away to a Starting Strength gym in Omaha when my better half hits a roadblock with my training. Mark has always, somewhat irritatingly, been right in helping me gain strength as in the seated press when I lacked the balance necessary to accomplish it standing.
    Question: I already know your stance on shoes and have always utilized a recommended pair. My feet still tend to want to shift in the squat due to my balance adjustment. My form otherwise seems good. Bar travel, chest down, and knee position, and depth are adequate. On a whim I tried my minimalist shoes I wear for deadlift and living (I don't trip and fall near as much in these) for the squat. Interestingly enough, my feet don't seem to want to wallow and balance seems way easier using them. I always had my Powerlifts cinched snug when using them. How dumb is it to use my minimalist shoes for the squat? My heaviest squat has only been 126 lb. Testify Gym in Omaha has checked my form before. It took me six months to develop the balance to body weight squat so, for me, I've accomplished a lot.
    Is there any reason I should use my minimalist for a time or would I just be a dumbass for considering it? Thank you for your time and consideration.
    I don't know a lot about ms and have never trained anyone with it. Based on my understand of it, anything you can do to continue squatting and making progress in the gym, you should do.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Keep the intensity high and the volume low. MS does not appreciate temperature elevation, so limit work sets and number of reps. Stay cool when you train.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Keep the intensity high and the volume low. MS does not appreciate temperature elevation, so limit work sets and number of reps. Stay cool when you train.
    That was helpful Mark. Ataxia seems to be dependent on temperature too. I’ve set my wife’s program alternating daily work sets and on squat 2x3 @ previous work set and single, double, triple single set progression at the new higher work set. That seems to be sufficient stress without over doing it, particularly in a warm gym/room. She uses a fan blowing directly on her in the home gym which really helps. She is making good progress now with 45Kg on the bar for a triple and depth is good. I’ve been particularly careful not to push her too hard as she also works 3 days a week and when she is tired I drop the sessions to two per week.

I know we have our disagreements, but I would just like to say you have been a great help in your curmudgeonly way and to thank you for that.

Thank you for the input. I have had great success with high intensity training. I've always worn my lift shoes but was a little shy about deviating from such a foundational piece of equipment. However, if there are others out there like me with balance issues, don't let it hold you back. The advice I had received regarding implementing the seated press when I lacked the balance necessary to press heavier was perfect and encouraging. I could press 40 lbs but could could manage 50 seated. Implementing seated press has increased my ability to press heavier than in the past during warmups. Strength matters to live well. Do what you have to do to get there. When you're imperfect, perfect is definitely overrated.