starting strength gym

Thread: Help with chiropractic

Default Help with chiropractic

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone.

Mild lumbar scoliosis with sacrum pain from deadlift and a recent neck pain with no apparent disc degeneration and and no sciatic pain at all. I have already received the well-known response from physiotherapists, traumatologists, etc.: Stretch, do yoga, don't lift weights, go swimming, etc. So reading some experiences here (using the seach function) and also the advice of Master Rip, I have made an appointment with a chiropractor.

MY QUESTIONS ARE: What precautions should I take when making an adjustment with the chiropractor as a fan of lifting weights? Does it matter if he is specialized in weightlifters, athletes or something else? The guy looks experienced, he's 65 years old.

I have never treated myself to a chiropractor and my fear is basically that he will fuck up my spine. Haha. I honestly thought it was a pseudoscience, but seeing that some weightlifters make use of this practice, I found it interesting to try it.

IŽd appreciate any "tips". Thanks.

Did you go? What was your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    Hi everyone.

Mild lumbar scoliosis with sacrum pain from deadlift and a recent neck pain with no apparent disc degeneration and and no sciatic pain at all. I have already received the well-known response from physiotherapists, traumatologists, etc.: Stretch, do yoga, don't lift weights, go swimming, etc. So reading some experiences here (using the seach function) and also the advice of Master Rip, I have made an appointment with a chiropractor.

MY QUESTIONS ARE: What precautions should I take when making an adjustment with the chiropractor as a fan of lifting weights? Does it matter if he is specialized in weightlifters, athletes or something else? The guy looks experienced, he's 65 years old.

I have never treated myself to a chiropractor and my fear is basically that he will fuck up my spine. Haha. I honestly thought it was a pseudoscience, but seeing that some weightlifters make use of this practice, I found it interesting to try it.

IŽd appreciate any "tips". Thanks.
    Well hell, I had typed up a long response to this question, and even though it is not timely anymore, I will retype what I wrote.....at least in spirit.

First of all, chiropractors perform millions of spinal adjustments every year, and it is a frighteningly low complication rate. There may be a handful of bad outcomes from chiropractic care, and those are almost always due to something that was largely unavoidable. You hear every few years that someone died from a stroke after a chiropractic adjustment, but those are usually 1-2 per year and those individuals had a congenital malformation of the vertebrobasilar artery that screening tests are not wildly specific or sensitive for. There have been a few instances where someone had spinal metastasis and a chiropractic adjustment caused a pathologic fracture along the tumor margin.....but again, this equates to probably 1-2 cases per year, if even that much. Safety is not much of a concern with chiropractic care. A lot of what they do looks scary, and the medical community as a whole likes to use scare tactics to try and prevent people from seeking chiropractic care, but it is extremely safe.

There are two major schools of thought in the current Chiropractic community. One adheres very stringently to the D.D. Palmer fundamentalist school. These are the individuals who believe that chiropractic adjustments are necessary to correct vertebral subluxations and that the presence of vertebral subluxations interfere with the body's natural healing ability which then leads to all manner of diseases. Cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc can all be traced back to the human body naturally being a self-healing organism, but vertebral subluxations interfere with that. D.D. Palmer-originalists provide chiropractic care from the birthing suite to the grave as a fundamental and completely obligatory matter of life. You cannot be healthy without regular chiropractic care.

The second is the more modern approach which the Parker school is exceptional in teaching. The more modern approach is more based in the evidence that chiropractic care is very effective for treatment of low back and cervical spine pain, and that the education level of a chiropractor places them in a nice open market in the medical world to be a health-promoting, wellness advocate with the ability to treat, somewhat effectively, bone, joint, muscle, and spinal related pain. These guys / girls tend to be very reasonable, very open to treating someone to allow them to participate in activities of daily living that are important to the patient, and tend to not use bullshit scare tactics and mall food-court demonstrations to gin up new business. A well-trained chiropractor can sell himself / herself off outcomes and word of mouth referrals.

The only precaution I would take when it comes to a chiropractor (my own personal opinion) is I would stay far, far away from anyone who tried to convince me that I needed to book adjustments months into the future at regular intervals, just as I would steer very clear of someone who advertises "free x-rays" on the initial appointment. That may be a decent way of getting people through the door, however, imaging should only be ordered on someone with a clinical presentation that merits imaging, so if they are advertising that on the initial appointment, it would communicate to me that they are going to use the "free x-ray" to coax me into booking adjustments into the future that may be unnecessary.

Excellent post, Will. Thanks for this information.