starting strength gym

Thread: Do I even need to program?

Default Do I even need to program?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been an intermediate trainee for 8-9 months now. I have tried a vast number of different premade training programs and methodologies to little success. In hind sight the programs seem not to provide the correct amount of stimulus, they either under or over predict my SRA response. This leaves me with mediocre progress and sometimes if the programs is too stressful I carry pretty extreme levels of fatigue into my daily life.

I am starting to realize I may have to just train my self off my recent training history. Finding a exercise/set/rep select that seems solid and progressing them and resetting/deloading when necessary.

I am curious for feed back on this type of approach.
    I know RTS kinda works off this but adds other layers of complexity.

How bare bones can I make my training? Do I really need to periodize as a mid-stage intermediate?

Have you done linear progression? Have you read Practical Programming?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Yes, I have read both books. I did NLP for 4.5 months and put 250 lbs on my deadlift (for 5 reps) in that time. Body weight went from 170 to 210

For my intermediate programming I have done Texas Method, HLM, 4/3 split Texas Method, The Bridge, an RTS style block. Body weight went from 210 to 230. Deadlift went up another 30 lbs (for 5). I have gotten maybe 5% stronger on all my lifts in the last 6 months which I consider not great progress. I purchased a copy of Andy Bakers Garage Gym Warrior Program but I haven’t wanted to start it because I am starting to question the cookie cutter template approach.

You've done six or seven programs in the last six months - you've been programming hopping. Pick something and stick to it. Make modifications bit by bit based on what you observe and understand of the SRA cycle.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

All right thanks for the feed back, I probably have been. I think your last sentence is key.