starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Columbus

Default Starting Strength Columbus

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Starting Strength friends -

My name is Pete Yeh and I'm excited to announce that my wife, Megan, and I will be opening the first Starting Strength Gym in Columbus, OH.

A little bit about us - I spent the better part of two decades working in the financial services industry and Megan works as an attending hospital physician. We had been hunting a while for a viable small business opportunity. Sadly, I couldn't get behind slinging donuts or sub sandwiches, so the search continued...

When the COVID locked the country down in early 2020, I realized that I should probably do something productive with my time at home and that's when I fell down the internet rabbit hole and landed in the Starting Strength camp. After a couple months, the manufacturers finally backfilled their orders and I had my own basement gym to train in.

Everything about Starting Strength made rational sense as opposed to the typical marketing hype associated with other fitness modalities. I am an ex-high school and college athlete, but had been sedentary for most of my post-graduate life. At the time I picked up a barbell, I was an orthopedic train wreck (back, shoulder, hips, knees, you name it) and realized that I needed to do something about it. After two months of Starting Strength and not doing the program optimally or under the supervision of a coach, I was blown away by how much better I felt and functioned. Everything about life improved. After 3 months, for a number of reasons, I realized that I needed a coach. I also somehow convinced my parents, who are in their 60s and 70s, to start training with a Starting Strength Coach as well and it changed their lives. They now treat the barbell like they treat their toothbrush - they recognize that it is an essential tool and necessary part of their lives.

I was able to convince my wife to begin training with the barbell after she noticed the results and positive changes. I became a better husband and father to our two kids - physically, mentally, and emotionally. Megan, having been a lifelong runner, was finally coming around to the idea of lifting. Coming back from severe lumbar and SI joint pain complications of her second pregnancy, Megan worked hard under the bar to strengthen her back. Her work ethic under the bar inspires me as she has worked her squat to over 200 pounds and deadlifting a couple of wheels.

This type of life changing potential doesn't come around everyday. When we realized that Starting Strength was building out a nationwide footprint of gyms and that Columbus was on the list of target cities, we immediately knew that if we could stomach the risk of a startup, this would be the business opportunity that would align with our values and beliefs. Our hope is that we can bring the impact that strength has made in our lives to the rest of our community and drive positive change, one coached repetition at a time.

Having helped people in my previous career with the the process of investing money and building wealth, I realized that many people have a financial advisor, even as it gets easier to build a nest egg as you progress in your plan. Strength as a function of health is the exact inverse. The stronger you get, the tougher it is to get stronger. Most folks want or have a financial advisor but don't realize that they NEED a great strength coach but don't readily have access to one.

With all of the money in the world, failing health, functional status, and loss of independence won't do you a bit of good when you're looking to retire well into your golden years. Strength is money in the bank. Period. Full stop.

I look forward to meeting you all in the community as we embark on our mission to build out our gym. Sign up for our Early Interest List and please reach out to say hello if you're local to Central Ohio. Don't hesitate to let us know what you'd like to see and we'll do our best to make it happen.

Cheers,
    Pete

I call working with a Starting Strength coach "investing in my physical 401(k)". What's the point of money for retirement if I can't do fun stuff with it because I'm decrepit? My 70-something parents begin their training this week. Hoping they also find barbells like toothbrushes. Or in my dad's case, afternoon tea -- something he can't live without.

High five, Pete. Say hey to Megan for me. Great to meet y'all at the June seminar.

Pete, it's been so exciting getting to know you this past week and talk about plans for SS Columbus! Can't wait to see what happens once you open up! You are doing a great thing here and I know your clients will value and appreciate the service you are providing.

Yeah, this is going to be awesome! The great thing about the SS method is that the proof is in the pudding. If you follow the programming it will work, simple as that. Very excited to be apart of the Columbus gym and the coaches and clients that come along with it. SS changed my life drastically and I'm excited to be a part of the lives that SS will improve in Columbus. Can't wait!

Thanks, Adam! So glad to find other Starting Strength Enthusiasts in the 614! Looking forward to what’s to come.

Bruce - you epitomize the efficacy of what barbell strength training can do to change your life and make you better off! Keep spreading the good word!

Thanks, Andrea! Austin is lucky to have a coach like you. The 401k statement is so true and resonates with everyone. So glad to hear that your parents are interested in starting. Mia Inman got my mother low bar squatting with serviceable form in about 5 minutes. Training for strength is so much more important for our more senior folks.

Hi Pete! I've never been to Columbus, but if I should ever make it out that way I'll be excited to see the gym.

The door is always open, Nikola!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikola Blagojevic View Post
    Hi Pete! I've never been to Columbus, but if I should ever make it out that way I'll be excited to see the gym.

Megan Yeh is offline Owner, Starting Strength Columbus

Location Update: Pete and I have submitted an LOI and are in lease negotiations for our first gym in Dublin, near the Tuttle Crossing/270 Exit. Fingers crossed, things continue to go well. We will update you further in the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Yeh View Post
    Location Update: Pete and I have submitted an LOI and are in lease negotiations for our first gym in Dublin, near the Tuttle Crossing/270 Exit. Fingers crossed, things continue to go well. We will update you further in the coming weeks.
    Any update on the lease and location or an ETA opening date? Excited to see the gym come near Dublin!

Megan Yeh is offline Owner, Starting Strength Columbus

starting strength coach development program
    Exciting news, we have a lease! Location is 6083 Park Center Circle, Dublin - between Chick-Fil-A and Chipotle. We hope to be open late March, early April. The square footage allows for a 10 platform gym which is amongst the largest SS gyms nationwide. We are currently bidding general contractors for the project. More to come on the floor plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast