starting strength gym

Thread: Coaching advice

Default Coaching advice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So there’s a guy at my gym I’ve been thinking could be my first lab rat. Talked to him today, and found out he was run over by a truck 20 years ago. Didn’t break his back, but 10 years later a disc went by-by, and he had a spinal fusion, so has screws and probably some kind of rod in his back. Told him about this place and said he should seek some advice for his lifting. Was I too cautious? Thought maybe that’s a difficult first “client”.

Well, what does he currently do in the gym? He's clearly not immobile.

What kind of relationship would you have - paid client or just a dude you coach for your own education and his benefit?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

The second situation. Just attended the seminar last month, now I know what I don’t know. I’m not ready to charge money for coaching.

He’s doing the usual bro stuff. I texted him on Sunday to see if he wanted in on a heavy squat day. He said he was doing arms and chest, soooo….you know.

He says when he squats he gets some low back pain. He doesn’t squat below parallel, doubt he low back squats, never seen him squat. My instinct is he can still do the program, but because of the screws and all, I thought maybe he needs a better coach than me. Again, told him about the program, and steered him towards this forum.

Well it sounds like this guy is not going to hire a coach at all and will probably just keep doing the stuff he's doing now. I don't think there's any harm in showing him the lifts and coaching him through it. If you teach him how to squat, he's not going to start at 315. He's going to start with the bar and work his way up.

If I were in your position, I would go for it. Having been to the seminar, you know more than most of the lifters and coaches out there.

Also, when I was a new coach, I would occasionally post videos of my lifters to the technique forum for help. If you post one of him when you have doubts, I'll be happy to give feedback on what I see. Just make sure to mention my name, and I'll see it.

I'm curious to see what Rip and other coaches think.
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 11-01-2021 at 07:51 PM.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Well it sounds like this guy is not going to hire a coach at all and will probably just keep doing the stuff he's doing now. I don't think there's any harm in showing him the lifts and coaching him through it. If you teach him how to squat, he's not going to start at 315. He's going to start with the bar and work his way up.

If I were in your position, I would go for it. Having been to the seminar, you know more than most of the lifters and coaches out there.

Also, when I was a new coach, I would occasionally post videos of my lifters to the technique forum for help. If you post one of him when you have doubts, I'll be happy to give feedback on what I see. Just make sure to mention my name, and I'll see it.

I'm curious to see what Rip and other coaches think.
    I’m going to see if he’s interested. Thanks Andrew.