starting strength gym

Thread: Switch to Novice Phase II or go to 2 days per week for a 55 y/o male

Default Switch to Novice Phase II or go to 2 days per week for a 55 y/o male

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    55 years old. Decent shape.

NLP after 6 month layoff going well. DL up to 315 at week 3. Low back getting sore and stiff now. Waived off on DLs today. My thought is to back off to 5lb jumps on DL and go to two days per week (A and B) vs going to Phase 2. I enjoy cleans and can do them but think I can DL 2x per week for a few more weeks then probably go the Phase II 2x per week as things get heavier.

Squat at 225 making 10lbs jumps…going well
    Bench and press 195 and 150. 5 lb jumps going well.

Probably either approach is fine. Been “greedy” and got injured in the past. Trying to actually do the program (injury free) this time.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Just do the program as written in PPST3 and The Barbell Prescription, instead of your own version of it.

I’ve read them both as well as SS. Been doing NLP for 3 weeks exactly as described in SS and PPST3, not my own version. No conditioning, no bro lifts, eating and sleeping properly, etc. with good progress.

Sounds like A and B 2 days per week with conservative 5lbs jumps as recommended in the Barbell Prescription is the answer.

Apologies for wasting your time.