starting strength gym

Thread: Intensity day question

Default Intensity day question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, question about intensity day programming. Had an idea and wondering if it's worth pursuing or a giant waste of time.

I am doing the four-day TM from the book--the version with volume and intensity for all four lifts each week.

Question relates to programming whatever comes after the top intensity set. I've only been doing this four-day split for a couple of weeks. On the first week, after my top intensity set, I did two back-offs at 90% of the top set, which is also my volume day lift. This week after intensity, I did two back-offs at 95% of the top set. And then on each intensity day after the intensity lifts, I do one accessory lift--almost 3x10 dips (today was 10-9-8) on bench and press day and 3x10 weighted glute/ham raises on squat and deadlift day.

After my session today, had the thought that it might be fun to try a 1RM after each intensity set instead of back-off sets. Realize these wouldn't be true 1RMs and I wouldn't use them to inform any future programming; just thought it might be a fun wrinkle and an opportunity to feel a heavier bar.

Would this be a waste of time? Would I be sacrificing further strength adaptations by forgoing the 2x5 drop-sets after intensity squat, bench, and press? What about doing it less-than-weekly, like maybe once a month or something?

Appreciate the input!

Using the term 1RM implies that it is a maximum. Sounds like you would be building up to a heavy single? It's certainly fine to do, but as with the other back-off work following your intensity set(s), you need to monitor overall volume and intensity to make sure you are driving strength adaptations and not running yourself into the ground.

If you are not competing in powerlifting, what is the point of a 1RM? if your 5, 3, or 2 increased, did your strength not increase?

In my experience, these simple programs are best left exactly the way they were designed. There are plenty of options in the grey book, pick one and stick to it. consistency is the hardest part, i am just as tempted as anyone to think about complicating, advancing, and modifying programming...and every time i do i end up worse for it.

Quote Originally Posted by oface View Post
    I am doing the four-day TM from the book--the version with volume and intensity for all four lifts each week.
    There are multiple programs in the book which fulfill this criteria.

On the first week, after my top intensity set, I did two back-offs at 90% of the top set
    Why?

which is also my volume day lift.
    Too heavy.