starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posterior left hip pain from deadlifts (leg length discrepancy)

Default Posterior left hip pain from deadlifts (leg length discrepancy)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have a leg length discrepancy of 7mm (measured by X-rays), it's 6mm in the shins and 1mm in the femur. The right leg is the short one.

When I deadlift a heavy set I get pain in the left hip, in the back, not at the side. The pain is right at the tuberosity that can be felt in the back. It gets worse when I rack pull.

It hurts whether I shim the right leg or not.

My form seems to be ok according to Andy Baker.

Any ideas?

Which tuberosity is in the back?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Which tuberosity is in the back?
    Hello Rip, I didn't know how to express it. I was referring to those little bones that can be felt at the back. From what I see in Google, they seem to be a part of something called the si-joint.

It is approximately here and radiates to the side:

TpnGpPRfRmQ3PE5qDDNwuP-320-80.jpg

A 5mm discrepancy is barely enough to shim, and is probably not causing the SI issue. How wide is your belt?

A 5mm discrepancy is barely enough to shim, and is probably not causing the SI issue. How wide is your belt?
    It's a 3 inch belt from Dominion Strength. Since the buckle bothers me while setting up, I turn the buckle to my right side. I've only recently started to do that. Could it be that?

In relation to the pain, it takes many days for the pain to go away completely. It hurts when bending over, standing up from a chair, in all types of situations.

Video.

Video.
    This is a video from last year but I think my form hasn't changed much. It was my 5RM at that time.

I know that I could use with a bit more of extension in my low back, but it's as much as I can get.

2021 10 29 DL 1x5x180Kg - YouTube

You could stand a little more lumbar extension, but this is not bad enough to produce the serious injury you describe. Gaining 10kg of bodyweight will make this go away.

You could stand a little more lumbar extension, but this is not bad enough to produce the serious injury you describe. Gaining 10kg of bodyweight will make this go away.
    Thanks for the feedback Rip.

I'm close to a 100Kg in body weight, I don't think I can fit 10 extra kilos.

I've been browsing other threads about this issue and you have mentioned massaging with a lacrosse ball all, especially the piriformis. I'm going to try that, also visiting a chiropractor (the less quacky one I can find).

I was reviewing my log and I realised that I already had an experience like this last year, but a lot less severe. I was testing a supination wedge (I have fallen arches and overpronation in my left foot) and that supination wedge added a bit of height to my left leg which could have emphasised the leg discrepancy. I got hip pain after pulling a 204Kg single. It could be an issue that started that day from which I haven't recovered.

Anyways, thanks for your input.

starting strength coach development program
    What do you weigh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast