starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back scabbing up from squatting

Default Back scabbing up from squatting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey folks,

I'm new to weight lifting and have started seriously going to the gym fairly recently. I read the book and all's been pretty good. My squat numbers have gone up to a decent level (for myself anyway starting from just the bar - 245x5 for 3 sets) but I've noticed that I've started to get these abrasions/scabs where the bar rests on my back. Initially I ignored them but soon enough it got to the point that I was bleeding after squat sessions. I've healed up a bit so they're not too bad but see the scabs/discolored marks on each shoulder in the below pic. In the second pic I'm sorta simulating a squat position without a bar.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Is the bar placement incorrect for low bar squatting? It feels secure when I'm performing the exercise and my bar path is vertical from what I can tell, but these stupid scabs are starting to annoy me (plus it looks weird). The last few workouts I've used the bar pad but aside from feeling like a complete wuss I don't feel as secure when using it. Open to any wisdom the group may offer.

Thanks!

What did they say when you went to the emergency room?

Are you wearing a tank top when you squat by any chance? I've made that mistake before – resulted in similar irritation. Went away when I wised up and switched to a tshirt.

It'll adapt. Just wear a thicker (but still form-fitting and cotton) shirt for the time being. You should not use a barbell pad or whatever it's called. It is absolutely less stable.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I get that when i sweat a lot, skin rubs more or something.

You can wear two shirts, or purchase adhesive tape that come in little squares that you can apply to the areas before you squat to minimize friction.

I went to the dermatologist for a regular skin checkup and the skin doc was so concerned about those two "patches" of skin right below the spine of the scapula where the bar sits. I had to tell him it was from a barbell and it made me a little proud of myself.

I only got this type of thing when I held the bar with too wide a grip, elbows were too high, and the bar was not secured and was slipping around in my back causing abrasion.

Did this require a blood transfusion? How many units?

I squat in a tank top and don't experience any issues. My squat is a lighter (215) than yours, but I'm going to assume that my back is smaller as well.

I have a layer of athletic tape wrapped around my bar to create a center knurl. Maybe that could help.

I'm on blood thinners, so I get similar abrasions that bleed when squatting.

I just use a thin, microfiber towel (car drying towel) draped across my back. The pile on the one side helps keep it on my back/tshirt, and the smooth side facing out, lets the bar ride without snagging on the towel.

I still get the abrasions, but they're much less pronounced.

Aside from looking like a kid playing superman, it works well.

"If it's stupid, but it works...it ain't stupid."

starting strength coach development program
    If those abrasions/scabs start showing up on your hands as well you definitely need to seek medical help. I've had one on the inside of my ring finger for a couple years and it STILL hasn't gone away. My buddy had one that peeled off and caused at least 1 oz of blood loss, so I wouldn't mess around with such a critical injury.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast