starting strength gym
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road Back(SS)

Talking The Road Back(SS)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello guys, so here is my log on SS.

21 years old, training on MMA. Got really screwed from injuries, and my own coach told me to forget fighting because i was not "born" for it.
    I said fuck it, and i'm alone again training back.

Weight-Lifting had a big role on getting me out of depression.

I was injured with tendonitis all over my body(both knees, elbows and shoulders), low back pain, and having mental breakdowns because i tought my sports career was over(before even beginning).

Then with help of friends i got back slowly to weight-lifting and decided that i would just go back to fight MMA when i'll weight at least 185lbs and have a decent strength base.

Since beginning this program all my pains went away, i feel like a new person. It's incredible how correcting form and giving enough rest to your body can do for you.

So here starts my journey anew.

Starting Stats:

10/20/2008
    Weight: 170lbs
    Height: 5'10''
    bodyfat: 11,2%

Objectives:

- Weight at least 185lbs.
    - Squat at least 240 lbs
    - Deadlift at least 300 lbs
    - Listen more my body, and won't try to work with injury.

Squat and deadlifting is all that matters, fuck bench press =)

10/20/2008
    1st week
    1st workout

Squat - 3 x 5 120lbs
    Bench Press - 3 x 5 120lbs
    Deadlift - 1 x 5 164 lbs

felt pretty good, everything right on track. super excited

10/22/2008
    2nd workout
    Squat - 3 x 5 120lbs
    Press - 3 x 5 65lbs
    PowerClean - 3 x 5 90lbs

Just remembered while i was writing the log, that the powerclean is supposed to be 5 x 3 and not 3 x 5 =) gonna correct this next workout.

First time powercleaning, it's so cool, it's really explosive and everybody around me get scared and i get plenty of room
    One time i tried snatching a barbell with one hand, and all the PT went nuts.

The only annoying thing about training on a commercial gym is that the so-called PT keeps bugging me that i shouldn't squat that low or be dead-lifting.

"You should start on the machines first", "DeadLifts are bad for your back"
    fuck them.

That's why i like to keep the music real high on my ipod so that no one bothers me while training.

10/24/08
    3rd workout

Squat - 3 x 5 130lbs
    Bench Press - 3 x 5 115lbs
    Deadlift - 1 x 5 165 lbs

I reduced the first workout weights on the bench press because, it's better to spend more time on the program with better form than starting too heavy and stalling too soon, and because i'm scared like shit to bench press again coming back from a shoulder injury.

New PR on the squat, felt heavy, maybe because of the psychological factor of having a bar with one 45 lbs plate on each side for the first time, puny i know.

Probably next week i'll keep adding 10 lbs to the squat each workout, then change to 5lbs on third week.

10/27/08
    2nd week
    4th workout

Squat - 3 x 5 140lbs FAST
    Press - 3 x 5 65lbs FAST
    PowerClean - 5 x 3 95lbs FAST

The squat started good but progressively felt heavier, on the 3rd set i tought i was going to get crushed, i almost busted my nut completing the 5th repetition there. the 3 sets were like:

1st: FAST
    2nd: FAST
    3rd: FAST at the beginning but SLOW 5th at the repetition. Without a PowerRack i felt kinda scared, so i think i'll start taking 5lbs jump on the squat.

In the press i maintained the same weight to work on form and next workout it's good to go.

PowerClean i changed from 3 x 5 to 5 x 3 and felt too damn easy, i'm wondering if i should bump 10 lbs next workout?

10/29/08
    5th workout

Squat - 3 x 5 145lbs FAST
    Bench Press - 3 x 5 120lbs FAST
    Deadlift - 1 x 6 182lbs FAST

Everything went good.

I was scared to put more weight on squat, but i decided to follow it and put at least 5lbs, and holy cow, it felt light comparing to last workout. Maybe cause i slept more and ate more, who knows...

Bench Press was ok and felt light, but i felt a little pain on my left shoulder, even with shoulders blade retracted, I'll put some ice and after it a mix of yam with ginger it does wonders to heal inflamations.

If next workout it hurts while doing the Press maybe i'll back off a little of upper body work and just keep the Squat, DL and PowerClean for a while, and get back to DieselCrew Shoulder rehab circuit after SS, what do you guys think??

DeadLift felt really good, i'm happy to be back to the DeadLift I got so excited that i forgot the count in the middle of the exercise and ended up doing 6 reps

Today i also recorded my lifts so i can get some opinions about my form.

11/01/08
    6th workout

Squat - 3 x 5 150lbs SLOW
    Press - 3 x 5 70lbs FAST
    PowerClean - 5 x 3 100lbs FAST

Today it was funny because while warming up for the squats it felt really light and fast then at the working set i was like: DAMN this is heavy... and my form wasn't the best.

the warm-up was like:

2x5 45lbs
    1x4 67lbs
    1x3 88 lbs
    1x2 110lbs

The rest was easy. I love PowerClean =)

11/04/08
    7th workout

Squat - 3 x 5 150lbs FAST
    Bench Press - 3 x 5 125lbs FAST
    Deadlift - 1 x 5 202lbs FAST

Holy smoke, no wonder the squat felt light i forgot that this workout weight for the squat was 155lbs =( Anyway it was fast and with good form!! i'm can't wait for tomorrow to squat with 70kg on my back

11/06/08
    8th workout

Squat - 3 x 5 155lbs SLOW
    Press - 3 x 5 75lbs FAST
    PowerClean - 5 x 3 110lbs FAST

The squat was shaky at the beginning and sucked, at the 2nd set it was corrected and went fast, the third set was hard and slow, i ended doing some good-mornings onthe 4th, 5th rep at the end, it was tough, i'll eat more till next workout. I got pissed.

The press was easy.

PowerClean today i tried adding 10lbs and felt challeging for the first time, next workout i'll definitely go back to 5lbs per workout and record to see if i'm having any form problems.

starting strength coach development program
    Keep it coming. I like reading your log because you're in sort of the same ballpark as me. I've been on SS a bit longer, but based on Height/Weight/BF%, you're starting out more muscular than I am.

Wanna race to the 240 lb squat?

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast