starting strength gym

Thread: Effect of asymmetry between exercises performance on programming

Question Effect of asymmetry between exercises performance on programming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi!

I read the Barbell Prescription and I follow the 50+ Master Novice program. I'm at Program 2B which is like:

Squat 3x5 Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5 Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5 BW rows 3x10

When things get tough I am supposed to go to 2C where the number of deadlifts is reduced to once every four training sessions.

The thing is that I am not tired nor overwhelmed by the training as a whole, neither by the DL, but I'm almost stuck with the press exercises. In other words, decreasing the DL's won't do anything for me.

I think my progression is a bit out of whack (due to technical difficulties I had):

SQ: 187lb
    BP: 160lb
    OHP: 94lb
    DL: 220lb

Squat and deadlift are still progressing every training. The presses very slowly (it takes 3-4 trainings till I make it to 3x5).

Should I just continue like this (so repeat the presses with the same weight until I get my 3x5 in) or do something else?

Thanks!

I try following the program by the letter: long breaks, small increases (maybe not small enough, as the smallest plates we have are 1.25kg) and I eat loads of protein (and carry plenty of fat around).

I think Grant Broggi is reading this as well, he just posted an answer: Is Mark Rippetoe Wrong About 5's?.

Quote Originally Posted by nomoremilk View Post
    I try following the program by the letter: long breaks, small increases (maybe not small enough, as the smallest plates we have are 1.25kg) and I eat loads of protein (and carry plenty of fat around).

I think Grant Broggi is reading this as well, he just posted an answer: Is Mark Rippetoe Wrong About 5's?.
    The bold part is a problem if you intend to make progress on your pressing movements. Grant's video addresses this.

As far as diet, "I eat loads of protein" is meaningless. You need to be more specific, both with total calories and the macro splits, and we need to know your sex, age, height, and weight.