starting strength gym

Thread: Race Lead up Programming

Default Race Lead up Programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    How would programming be adjusted to make sure one's body is fully recovered going into a race weekend. I'm currently running the NLP.

Race = downhill mountain biking. DH biking requires 5 minutes (4:50 precisely) of physical exertion at altitude (7000') but not really taxing aerobically. There will be sprints sprinkled in on race day.

Race schedule is as follows:
    Thursday - Travel to race - 6 hour drive with wife and kids.
    Friday - Smash downhill laps for 6 hours. 5 minute bursts of total body exertion followed by 45 minutes of standing in lines and riding a chairlift. Drink several beers after and eat all the pizza.
    Saturday - Hang out with family, recover, eat ice cream, ride Alpine Slide, etc.
    Sunday - 2-3 hours of practice runs (5 minute bursts), race at 1:30PM followed by podiums/beer/pizza.

Race performance is the priority.

For races prior to SS, I'd cut my workload (gym/cardio/intervals) in half the week prior and take intensity waaay down the week of race but I was doing more mobility/stability type work, not pure strength training. Thanks for your input.

If it were me, I would probably just do light work on mon and wed. 80% maybe. 2 sets instead of 3.