starting strength gym
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your ideas for upcoming features here

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by demian33 View Post
    I use the Notes button with each workout. After entering some info, I press Save and it gives me an alert: "Note saved." Then I have to press "Ok" to close that dialog box. And then I have to press "Close" to close the note itself. How about simplifying: When you press "Save," it simply closes the note? Two fewer steps.
    Thats a good idea, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Stazmatix View Post
    Is this for Android, and will the export progress (graph/#'s) setting be in this update? Saw you post about that previously. Other than being able to add pullups (amrap and weighted), that's the only feature I'm really interested in.
    Yes, its in the 1.15 update which is out now.

Accessory exercises are coming in the next update.

Awesome. Accessories and it's perfect for me. Thanks for all the effort! The app is probably one of the things making sticking to the program so easy. Huge help!

you're welcome!

Thanks for all the great work on the app! It's made everything so simple.

I've got a couple of new ideas for the app. First, it would be nice if you could attach a video to the training log.

Second, which ties into the first, is some way of sharing your training log with a coach/buddy. Either explicity sending the log to him or giving him access to read your log from the cloud sync. Another option for this would be posting via some social media. For instance, I use edufii with another coach for my sport. You can post videos, pictures, etc. That would be an easy way to share info. You could auto post when completing a workout. Assuming you have the ability to attach videos, it would all be included for your coach to critique.

Quote Originally Posted by schmatt View Post
    Thanks for all the great work on the app! It's made everything so simple.

I've got a couple of new ideas for the app. First, it would be nice if you could attach a video to the training log.

Second, which ties into the first, is some way of sharing your training log with a coach/buddy. Either explicity sending the log to him or giving him access to read your log from the cloud sync. Another option for this would be posting via some social media. For instance, I use edufii with another coach for my sport. You can post videos, pictures, etc. That would be an easy way to share info. You could auto post when completing a workout. Assuming you have the ability to attach videos, it would all be included for your coach to critique.
    Thanks. All of these have been discussed and in the plan for the future. they're all great ideas :)

Hi, I like the app very much. Thank you for the warm up sets, you saved my life:)
    I have 3 suggestions for this app:
    1.The possibility of adding chins and dips to the current program. Weighted or not. Of course we can do them and write the progress on paper, but it would be very nice to have them in the app and to appear in the progress chart. We can also save some trees. The program, as it is in the chapter "workout order" in the app, has some chins in it.
    2.The app is now for novices. It would be very helpful if we can have a intermediate program, like the Texas Method. There are too many variations of a intermediate program and it would be much easier for you to give us a template and let us choose the exercises. Some of us are oldsters and with injuries and we have to work around them so customizing is helpful. I understand your concern about getting too far from starting strength principles with too much customization. But let’s look at it like this: if the user is smart, he follows Mark’s words to the letter and he ends up with a good intermediate program. If the users thinks is smarter than Rippetoe and he ends up with a program far from Mark’s principles, you should let him do that. Whatever you do, you cannot save all of us. But you can save most of us. If you can give us a template that allows getting into the Texas Method, I think you will make many people happy. And I think the app sales will grow also. Being a novice is the first step, where do we go once we get past that?
    3.Also, for the novices, I think it will be useful if when you tap "chapter"(exercise, today workout) it takes to a short list of the most important things from that chapter, a list of cues, reminders, not the whole chapter. Mark’s explanations are the best, but It might take some time until they become tattooed on a novice’s brain. When in the gym, having to scroll through all that information...it becomes a 2 hours workout. Of course, the novice should read and re-read the full instructions before starting the program.

I hope my rusty english is not too bad. If it is, I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Bargain View Post
    Hi, I like the app very much. Thank you for the warm up sets, you saved my life:)
    I have 3 suggestions for this app:
    1.The possibility of adding chins and dips to the current program. Weighted or not. Of course we can do them and write the progress on paper, but it would be very nice to have them in the app and to appear in the progress chart. We can also save some trees. The program, as it is in the chapter "workout order" in the app, has some chins in it.
    chin-ups and back extensions as accessories are coming in the next update. I will have to check about dips as I dont think this is part of the novice or advanced novice program.

2.The app is now for novices. It would be very helpful if we can have a intermediate program, like the Texas Method. There are too many variations of a intermediate program and it would be much easier for you to give us a template and let us choose the exercises. Some of us are oldsters and with injuries and we have to work around them so customizing is helpful. I understand your concern about getting too far from starting strength principles with too much customization. But let’s look at it like this: if the user is smart, he follows Mark’s words to the letter and he ends up with a good intermediate program. If the users thinks is smarter than Rippetoe and he ends up with a program far from Mark’s principles, you should let him do that. Whatever you do, you cannot save all of us. But you can save most of us. If you can give us a template that allows getting into the Texas Method, I think you will make many people happy. And I think the app sales will grow also. Being a novice is the first step, where do we go once we get past that?
    Intermediate programs are coming, but probably will be the update after next. we haven't quite decided how this is going to work yet but I like the idea of complete customisation, however as you pointed out the issue for us is that many beginners (including myself) don't know when to transition to advanced novice or intermediate programs, so we want to avoid that if possible. Anyway we are taking all of your ideas on board and will make the best decision about it.

3.Also, for the novices, I think it will be useful if when you tap "chapter"(exercise, today workout) it takes to a short list of the most important things from that chapter, a list of cues, reminders, not the whole chapter. Mark’s explanations are the best, but It might take some time until they become tattooed on a novice’s brain. When in the gym, having to scroll through all that information...it becomes a 2 hours workout. Of course, the novice should read and re-read the full instructions before starting the program.
    Cues are going to be added to the videos, right now you can step through the video one frame at a time so its a good place for us to add cue instructions.

I hope my rusty english is not too bad. If it is, I apologize.
    not at all, thanks for the feedback!

[QUOTE=shabu;1297022]
    chin-ups and back extensions as accessories are coming in the next update. I will have to check about dips as I dont think this is part of the novice or advanced novice program.
    Dips are not part of the novice program, but Mark has pointed out that they are usefull as assistance. Assistance, not main work. I would like to register them too. If is not a good idea for the app, just let it go.

Intermediate programs are coming, but probably will be the update after next. we haven't quite decided how this is going to work yet but I like the idea of complete customisation, however as you pointed out the issue for us is that many beginners (including myself) don't know when to transition to advanced novice or intermediate programs, so we want to avoid that if possible. Anyway we are taking all of your ideas on board and will make the best decision about it.
    Mark was very clear on this: keep the original program until it does not work anymore. I only brought up the Texas Method because he said that oldsters (like me) should introduce it earlier in the program. And he is right, my joints are talking to me and they are not very nice. Now, I know I am not the center of the Universe and I don't expect this app to be custom taylored for me, but I bet I'm not the only 40-40+ years old that likes SS. And even if I am, 6-12 months from now a lot of young people will be screaming for the Texas method. Maybe a programming guideline in "Instructions" may solve the transition problem: for age 15-25 do this ".."; for 25-35 do it like that "...", etc. Or just maybe they should all by the books and then just use the app.

Thank you for your work. I like the program and the app very much. I hope I'll see the app grow soon, take it to the next level, it will be perfect.

starting strength coach development program
    I cannot currently list the weights I have available. I bought a set that has 1 lb. .75, .5 and .25 lbs. Thus I am able to increase my load by as little as one-half pound. Haven't gotten to that point yet, but I will someday.

Right now I have to cheat and tell the app that I have 1.25 lb weights, but it still tells me I can't load the bar to the weight I want.

Thanks for all the good work, and also thanks for your amazingly quick reply when I first bought the app and had a question.

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast