starting strength gym

Thread: Reps/sets question

Default Reps/sets question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

I just down loaded the app. You guys clearly put a lot of work into it.

I have a quick question, when entering the amount of weight for the exercise, I seem to only be able to enter one weight and then it tells me to do 5 reps at that weight for 1,3 and 5 sets. Am I missing something? Why doesn't it function more like the starting strength warm up app that more closely missiles the book? I'm sure I have done something wrong or missing something.

Can you please help me?

Thank you,

Peter

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Peter2211 View Post
    Hello,

I just down loaded the app. You guys clearly put a lot of work into it.

I have a quick question, when entering the amount of weight for the exercise, I seem to only be able to enter one weight and then it tells me to do 5 reps at that weight for 1,3 and 5 sets. Am I missing something? Why doesn't it function more like the starting strength warm up app that more closely missiles the book? I'm sure I have done something wrong or missing something.

Can you please help me?

Thank you,

Peter
    Hi Peter, those numbers are for your work-sets. So you'll always do 3 sets of 5 reps for squat as part of the novice program.

A warmup calculator is coming in an update this week for android and next week for iOS. Thanks for the feedback.

I had the warm-up calc loaded on my iphone from awhile back. Seems the calculator in the new ap provides a pretty significant different warm-up set weight recommendation. Any reason for this?

The formulas are different, I'm sure. Can you post the warmups from each so we can compare?

Default Warm-Ups New vs. Old

Warm ups
    Original Starting Strength Warm Up: Squat 225lbs 3x5 Sets: 2x5x45lbs, 1x5x95lbs, 1x3x135lbs, 1x2x175lbs, 1x1x205
    New Starting Strength App: Squat 225lbs 3x5 Sets: 2x5x45lbs, 1x5x85lbs, 1x3x120lbs, 1x2x155lbs, 1x1x190lbs
    Hope this helps out. I've really enjoyed the App so far and I'm looking forward to it continuing to improve.

starting strength coach development program
    Either version is fine. We'll generally advocate nice even jumps up to the work set until the lifter decides what they're preference is for warmup. The new SS app follows this criteria. I'm not sure what the developers did on the warmup app. Regardless, you can do either one.