starting strength gym

Thread: Should I follow the warmup exactly?

Default Should I follow the warmup exactly?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Are the warmup sets as prescribed in the app a suggestion or are they required to run SS properly?

The reason I ask is for 2 reasons:
    1) I often look at the suggested warmup weight and then do something more convenient to load around the same weight. For example if the app says 100lbs I use 95. If it says reps of 125 I'll likely do 135 just because using the 45 plates is easier/faster.
    2) Last workout the recommended warmup for the power clean was very high in volume / intensity. I decided to follow it verbatim. Even with resting I was tired before I started my work sets. I missed the last rep of the last work set. Should I have warmed up just enough to safely clean or is the volume from the warmup important to follow exactly?

and if not...

I don't seem to be able to edit the warmup (android).

thanks!

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

Hey matey.

1 - most people for convenience use 95 and 135 for their warmups. You don't need to follow the app exactly. The warmup calculator is typically for people who are quite new to the program, once you've reached a certain level you'd typically know what plates to load to get in your 5 or 6 warmup sets.
    2 - what was the workset weight and last warmup set weight?

The warmup was (off memory... it won't let me go back and see/edit it in the app)
    wt x reps x sets
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    140 x 5
    145 x 3
    150 x 2
    155 x 3 x 4(sets), 155 x 2 x 1

If I wasn't following the warmup in the app I would probably have just done 2 sets of 3 at 135 and 1 set of 3 at 145, I power clean last and I was fully warm.

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
    The warmup was (off memory... it won't let me go back and see/edit it in the app)
    wt x reps x sets
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    140 x 5
    145 x 3
    150 x 2
    155 x 3 x 4(sets), 155 x 2 x 1

If I wasn't following the warmup in the app I would probably have just done 2 sets of 3 at 135 and 1 set of 3 at 145, I power clean last and I was fully warm.
    So what was your workset weight? Seems like the issue is that you have your starting warmup weight set to 135 which seems high if your workset weight is 155.

Doof! I didn't realize that when I first set up the app I had put 135 in for warmup weight. I reset it down to 45 and all is well. Sorry for bothering you with such an obvious settings issue.