starting strength gym

Thread: App Question: Substitution for deadlift/power clean

Default App Question: Substitution for deadlift/power clean

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am 74 with a bad knee. No intention of doing Power Cleans. But fairly soon, I will not be doing deadlifts every session either. Can anyone tell me how to substitute some other movement other than deadlift OR Power Clean in the third movement on the app? Thanks very much.

Russ

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

Hi Russ, there is no other option in the app to substitute in another movement. I would suggest asking a coaches opinion in one of the other sub forums about what you should do. The app is pretty strict to keep people in NLP 1 or 2, though you can use the notes section to keep track of other accessory movements.

Thanks, Shabu for your continuing assistance. That’s pretty much what I thought. However, since Rip’s recommendation (when I asked him what AI should substitute—was not to sub anything—but merely to perform both squats and deadlifts twice per week for the duration—while switching between presses and benches. Only twice a week because of my age—and since it’s only twice, it’s not too debilitating to do deadlifts at every session.

Best regards,

Russ