starting strength gym

Thread: Master Novice choices in app?

Default Master Novice choices in app?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Are there any plans to add in Rows, Lat Pulldowns, and such as prescribed in the Barbell Prescription book so that us Masters (old guys and gals) can use the Starting Strength app beyond the three basic moves? I've been on the Starting Strength app for two months now, and at 59 years old, am not flexible enough to perform cleans, nor is it recommended for older people either. It's possible that it won't be too long where I won't be able to use the app any longer if this ability isn't added or offered; and I NEVER subscribe through monthly fees to any software/service, or site.

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

Hi Steve, I think we will probably add in advanced novice and NLP phase 3 but the intermediate / masters programs are tricky as as everyone does customised variations of them and its in that variations that the issues arise, how do you define the fail conditions and what happens if you fail? How can you make a customised template setup on a mobile app and make it intuitive for a user to create templates? If we put in intermediate programs into the novice app will novices move to intermediate too early and stall their progress?

These are rhetorical questions, but just so you understand where we are coming from in terms of the the amount of work involved and we also have to factor in that there are far less people doing intermediate programs than novice programs, so for us, its a LOT more work with very little potential for upside if you're not prepared to pay any more money for it.

So TL;DR we are adding in rows and some accessory exercises but unlikely we'll be adding any intermediate / masters programs.

Thanks for the quick reply, that info is what I was looking for. As to your mentioning Masters with Intermediate together, I wasn't suggesting Intermediate and Advanced phase of Novice training. Rather, I was referring to "Masters" as presented in the book Barbell Prescription, as another name for elderly. I was simply referring mainly to the Novice programs in the Barbell Prescription book, mainly chapters 19 and 20 beginning around page 195, which also allows for adjustments to the NLP with things like a 4 day plan as not all older adults can continue on the 3 times a week NLP intensity.

I'm probably a long ways away from even considering Intermediate or Advanced level Novice, which is why apps like Strength Club, Wendler 5-3-1, 5x5 and others are unnecessary to me. So it would be nice to be able to modify the Starting Strength app to meet my needs as outlined in the books, as I continue in Novice training for a probably quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by shabu View Post
    Hi Steve, I think we will probably add in advanced novice and NLP phase 3 but the intermediate / masters programs are tricky as as everyone does customised variations of them and its in that variations that the issues arise, how do you define the fail conditions and what happens if you fail? How can you make a customised template setup on a mobile app and make it intuitive for a user to create templates? If we put in intermediate programs into the novice app will novices move to intermediate too early and stall their progress?

These are rhetorical questions, but just so you understand where we are coming from in terms of the the amount of work involved and we also have to factor in that there are far less people doing intermediate programs than novice programs, so for us, its a LOT more work with very little potential for upside if you're not prepared to pay any more money for it.

So TL;DR we are adding in rows and some accessory exercises but unlikely we'll be adding any intermediate / masters programs.
    Little bit confused with the two different apps, which one is best strength club or starting strength official app?

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

If you're a novice - Starting Strength App.
    If you're an intermediate - Strength Club.