starting strength gym

Thread: Why shouldn't I test?

Mr.Deeds Guest

Default Why shouldn't I test?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, I'm planning on attending an upcoming SSS and I can't see any reason why not to test. Is there a difference between the experience of someone that tests to become a coach and someone that is just there for the education? The price seems to be the same so the way I see it I might as well test and if I don't make it, at least I gave it a shot and didn't lose anything. Am I missing something?

Side question: a buddy of mine wants to go but he may not be completely healed from an injury in time for the seminar. Is it still even worth him attending or should he just sit it out?

The tested option is an additional $200. If you'd like to test, we'll take your money, but if you're not ready you won't pass, and the material you receive at the seminar is the same.

If you opt in to be evaluated as a coach, you also spend a lot of time thinking about and worrying about how well you did. This is almost inevitable, even if you're just doing it on a lark - you put more pressure on yourself, and your platform coach treats you differently. We expect YOU to be able to fix the lifter and not need our help. I know I personally give the opt-in candidates more time and leeway to get it done, but that also = more rope to hang yourself with. I stand back and let you coach the person and work through their issues, but if and when you fail to do so, I don't kindly help you along anymore. I expect you to do it, so if I give you the chance and you don't, sorry, it's my lifter now and you're an annoying distraction that is preventing that lifter from getting her issues fixed, so shut up.

If that sounds harsh, think about it from that person's perspective: they're paying good money for the seminar, a large part of which is to get their lifts sorted out and fixed. Your failure to do so, when opted in and expected to be able to, means we wasted that time allowing you to try to coach when you had no business doing so. So you need to get the hell out of the way because now I have even fewer sets and reps to make sure your lifter gets her time and money's worth out of the session.

I'm not saying don't do it, but don't expect to be handled with kid gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Deeds View Post
    Hello, I'm planning on attending an upcoming SSS and I can't see any reason why not to test. Is there a difference between the experience of someone that tests to become a coach and someone that is just there for the education? The price seems to be the same so the way I see it I might as well test and if I don't make it, at least I gave it a shot and didn't lose anything. Am I missing something?

Side question: a buddy of mine wants to go but he may not be completely healed from an injury in time for the seminar. Is it still even worth him attending or should he just sit it out?
    Do not test at your first seminar. You will not pass. You have no idea what you're in for. No one does before their first seminar. Just save your money and enjoy yourself. Take lots of notes.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

McDeeds, thought I would pass along some info. I went to a Squat and DL camp over the weekend coached by some SSC’s. They are amazing. The amount of knowledge they have along with their ability to teach the lifts was striking. You would need to be at their level or close to it. But the stories from the people who failed the test at a recent seminar were hilarious about what it is like being on the platform, coaching and being evaluated, It is not easy or for the faint of heart. Their advice? Not at the first seminar. And after the seminar “intern” and get plenty of trainee contact to improve your coaching. Those SSCs are legit. It was the first time I was ever coached by one. They are special.