starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting on a see-saw...

Default Lifting on a see-saw...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm a Starting Strength rookie and am about 6 weeks into the programming. One big problem that I have is that I work on a ship for 6 months of the year. Ship's tend to move and roll and jostle around a lot and I'm looking for some advice. I work on a 5 wk on - 5 wk off rotation. Fortunately the ship I'm on right now has a good assortment of free weights but when we are at sea the ship is moving too much to safely make heavy barbell lifts. I'm confined to "normal" barbell lifts about 2 consecutive days a week. The rest of the time we're at sea. Fortunately (or unfortunately) we have a Smith Machine. When at sea I have to use the smith machine to safely accomplish my presses (seated) and bench press.

Question about performing a squat on the smith machine. I'm trying to replicate the movement of the low bar squat on the machine but it is obviously difficult.

Looking for some advice on safely accomplishing some sort of squat while at sea?

Front squats in SM? High bar squats with less depth in SM? or keep trying for a horizontal back angle and attempt to replicate a low bar squat in SM?

When I can do a normal barbell squat would there be any advantage to doing two days back to back and resting for 2-3 days after in the interest of getting more barbell squats in when I can?

Thanks for any insight...

There is a post in Andy Baker's subforum within the past few days on this exact topic. Recommended.

Thanks I'll check it out.